cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about FSAUtility's -f parameter

charles-k
Level 5
I need to restore the archived files for some folders on my file server, and need clarification on the -f parameter for FSAUtility.  When running FSAUtility with "-t" to restore original files, *all* archived files will have matching placeholders on the file server, by virtue of them being archived files.  So if the -f (force restore) parameter is not used, does this mean that the files will not be restored since matching placeholders already exist on the file server?  I'm not clear as to why the -f parameter is optional.  Shouldn't the files from the archive overwrite the placeholders by default?  Am I not understanding this parameter correctly?  I'd appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me.  Thanks.

Charles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Parameters for -t (Restore original files)
-s <UNC path>         UNC path name of source folder, volume or fileserver
-e <ext list>         Optional. List of file types to restore.
                      Specify as comma separated list of file extensions,
                      for example: *.xls,*.doc,*.txt. Default is all file types: *.*
-d <UNC path>         Optional. Destination folder, volume or fileserver for restored files
-D <mm-dd-yyyy>       Optional. Only restore files archived after this date
-f                    Optional. Overwrite existing files and placeholders when names match.

What i take that to mean is if you delete a placeholder off of the server, we're assuming you don't want the file there to begin with
So i'm going to assume that the -f means only to restore files that have placeholders or files that already exist there

So if i have say

\\myserver\myShare\WordDoc1.doc

\\myserver\myShare\WordDoc2.doc

\\myserver\myShare\WordDoc3.doc

If i delete the shortcuts for WordDoc1 and WordDoc2 but i wanted to use FSAUtility to restore only the files that existed now in that share, i'd use the -f so that it only resotres WordDoc3.doc, as opposed to restoring WordDoc1 and WordDoc2 and i'd have to delete them over again.

But again I could be completely wrong and have misinterpreted it
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Parameters for -t (Restore original files)
-s <UNC path>         UNC path name of source folder, volume or fileserver
-e <ext list>         Optional. List of file types to restore.
                      Specify as comma separated list of file extensions,
                      for example: *.xls,*.doc,*.txt. Default is all file types: *.*
-d <UNC path>         Optional. Destination folder, volume or fileserver for restored files
-D <mm-dd-yyyy>       Optional. Only restore files archived after this date
-f                    Optional. Overwrite existing files and placeholders when names match.

What i take that to mean is if you delete a placeholder off of the server, we're assuming you don't want the file there to begin with
So i'm going to assume that the -f means only to restore files that have placeholders or files that already exist there

So if i have say

\\myserver\myShare\WordDoc1.doc

\\myserver\myShare\WordDoc2.doc

\\myserver\myShare\WordDoc3.doc

If i delete the shortcuts for WordDoc1 and WordDoc2 but i wanted to use FSAUtility to restore only the files that existed now in that share, i'd use the -f so that it only resotres WordDoc3.doc, as opposed to restoring WordDoc1 and WordDoc2 and i'd have to delete them over again.

But again I could be completely wrong and have misinterpreted it
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Murr38
Level 4
Partner
Thanks JesusWept2.
I was missing the function of the -f and that is perfect.  Just what I was looking for.

Thank you.