cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ran out of space, will EV5 sp3 tolerate NTFS Jubction Points

Squeaky_Steve
Level 3
Hi,

We've reached the 99% threshold on the partition that contains the Store and Indexes.

I'm a little hesitant to add disk space to the raid array on the server, with all the fun of having to restore the server and EV.

So i'm wondering if  Enterprise Vault will tolerate me using linkd.exe to add space to the partition and physically move some of the Store directories (keeping the path the same but with the folders in the path "linkd" to another drive on the same box)?

This i'm hopeing will buy me enough time to twist the arm of the bean-counters here to be able to upgrade to the latest version of EV (EV5 sp3 is a very scarey situation to be in!).

Any thoughts would be appreciated, before I give this a whirl!

Many Thanks,
Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Can you just move the VS partition?

This technote can walk you through that.

Regards,

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling
Hey Steve,

You are not in an enviable position for sure! :)

I have never used that program but if you have any other options I would try that last as it sounds like there is a potential for things to get royally pooched.

Regards,
Tony

Squeaky_Steve
Level 3
Hi,

to be honest, the more i look at trying to be clever, the more i feel i'll regret it.

would it be more prudent to turn off the disk monitoring (to bring the EV back to life) and then to create a new vault store partition?  I believe the new (open) store partition will close the existing partition, so it won't grow any further.

however, i'll still need to make space, as i can bet that if EV literally runs out of space it'll crash and burn with gusto.

If you can think of a solution that doesn't involve backup - repartition - restore that'd be great.

Many thanks,

Steve (huddled under desk, eating banbury cakes).

TonySterling
Can you just move the VS partition?

This technote can walk you through that.

Regards,

Squeaky_Steve
Level 3
Hi,

it looks like that's the way i'm going to have to go...

EV is sitting on an old HP DL380 G3, i've the drive bay space to squeak in enough disk space to move it; and hopefully the HP Array utility will let me expand the logical disk, so i can create a new partition of a good size.  However, as all good people should, i'm backing the whole box up, just in case (though i maintain that if you waste hours and hours backing everything up, it all works without a hitch - it's only when you don't that things go pear-shaped).

Thanks for the advice, i'll post if it all goes well (if it doesn't, my bloated corpse will be fished out of the Solent in a few days).

Many thanks,

Steve

Squeaky_Steve
Level 3
Hi,

Well to cut a long story short... I whimped out and got a consultant in from Phoenix Software, who fixed the EV and upgraded us to EV2007 sp3...

as they say... discretion is the better part of valour, and cowardice is the better part of discretion...