cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover Individual Vault Stores

WelshPretender
Level 3
Basic Environment Overview:
2*Exchange 2007 Mailbox servers runnign on Windows 2008 Enterprise.
2*EV8.0 servers at 2 datacentres running Windows 2003 Enterprise.
EVServer1 running SQL, VaultStores for Exchange mailboxs for site 1, Disk setup = OS and SQL on Logical Disk1(RAID1), Indexes on LogicalDisk2(RAID1), Vault Store and EVSTORAGE folders on LogicalDisk3(RAID5)
EVServer2 running Enterprise Vault Stores for site 2 ,Disk Setup = Disk setup = OS on Logical Disk1(RAID1), Indexes on LogicalDisk2(RAID1), Vault Store and EVSTORAGE folders on LogicalDisk3(RAID5)

Hi,

I have just suffered a double drive failure on my LogicalDisk3(RAID5) holding the Vault Stores for Site2 (EVServer2).  While I try and see if I can recover the RAID I realised I am not entriely sure on how to recover the Vault Stores on this server.

I have tape backups of the vault stores and exports of the databases (database export occurs after the Vault Store backups), can I just restore the VaultStore folders from backup? or do I need to recover the index folders and SQL databases to the same point?

I also have a load of e-mails pending backup what will happen to these will EV just go back to Exchange and archive them again?

The backups are a combination of Full and incremental should any of the incremental backups be corrupted how will EV deal with this?

Alot of questions I know but any help you can provide will be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 OK lets take this one step at a time

You have valid backups. If you have your databases you can restore the database and then update or repair your indexes

The Vault stores, if you have backups of the avult stores and all of them are good you should be OK If however any of your incremental backups are bad then you can only restore to the last good one and any data archived after this point will be lost unless in the case of exchange you have valid excahnge server backups which you can use to restore the missing items and rearchive them again

It is best to recover everything to the same point that way you have your point in time of SQL, Vault Stores and indexes that match so you wont have as much work to get them in Sync.

I'm assuming that you backed up vault stores, sql and indexes att the same time so they are in sync. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 OK lets take this one step at a time

You have valid backups. If you have your databases you can restore the database and then update or repair your indexes

The Vault stores, if you have backups of the avult stores and all of them are good you should be OK If however any of your incremental backups are bad then you can only restore to the last good one and any data archived after this point will be lost unless in the case of exchange you have valid excahnge server backups which you can use to restore the missing items and rearchive them again

It is best to recover everything to the same point that way you have your point in time of SQL, Vault Stores and indexes that match so you wont have as much work to get them in Sync.

I'm assuming that you backed up vault stores, sql and indexes att the same time so they are in sync. 

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
For the items that are pending you can simply set the Mailbox policy for Pending Shortcut Timeout to 0 and run in report mode.  That will reset all the pending items.

Also, there is VSVerify and DVSChecker that you can get from support that will help you verify everything once you restore.

WelshPretender
Level 3

Sorry for not replinh sooner,

The SQL backups where done after the Vault Store backups this was done on the advice of the EV consultant we had do the initial install but I have all the transaction logs so shouldn't be too difficult to get them in sync with the.

I have good backups of the information stores on my exchange servers so if it ccomes to it I can look to get any missing mails back from them.

Tony:

I haven't logged a support call yet but I will do so in order to get the 2 utilities you suggest.

Thanks fo the replies is nice to get it straight in my head before I start i would share the solution between you but this forum doesn't allow that.