Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing old archived items (shortcuts)

Courtney_Wells
Level 2
Hi,

EV 6.0 SP3 for Exchange 2003:

Regarding shortcuts, we currently have the first 200 characters of archived emails showing.

Is there a way of removing this for items older than a specified time? I know we can use shortcut deletion but doesn't this remove the email completely from within Outlook so that the only way a user can see these emails is by searching or maybe within archive explorer?
I would like to be able to leave the email and subject but not the contents for mail older than one year for example so reduce users mailbox size. We have 0000's of mails at 2KB that all add up in their mailboxes.

Thanks
Courtney
4 REPLIES 4

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Easiest way to do this is to do it from exchange via recep. policy.

micah

Courtney_Wells
Level 2
Thanks Micah however that will remove the entire email won't it? I would like it so the user can see the sender, subject, date etc within their mailbox (Not the preview with the first 200 characters) but the mail contents be archived. Can you not set the vault options somewhere to do this and allow the user to open the email from the vault. Basically making it easier for the users to see what was in their mailbox without having to search.

Thanks
Courtney

Jason_Bunn
Level 3
Courtney,

We let shortcut deletion remove the shortcuts after 6 months. Of course the business was upset and did not like to search for older email.

I don't know if you can do what your are asking. But even if there was the shortcuts will still take up space and you know your Email users will not ever clean them up and eventually hit their quotas.

What they have been OK with is using the Archive Explorer. In fact many have been really happy using Archive Explorer.

Maybe Archive Explorer will alleviate the concerns.

JB

W_Wintermute
Level 4
Hello Courtney,

No, there is no way of removing shortcut message body content after a certain period of time. A process like this would entail quite a bit of overhead.

There is a support utility called ShortcutFixer that can delete the message body and recipient information from existing shortcuts, but I'd hate to run it on a regular basis, and it would affect all shortcuts, not just those from a specific time period.