cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved Archive to different site and Mailbox shortcuts are still pointing to old archive, cannot fix

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I had not done this before, I moved an archive from an EV old setup to a new one in different site and directory (to new archive since the mailbox associated did not have an archive in the new setup), the mailbox has shortcuts to access his old emails in the old site.

Archive is moved successfully to the new site but when double clicking on old shortcuts, it turns out that its link still points to the old archive. I´ve run shortcut processing for that mailbox on the new site with the "FixShortcutLinks" and "RestoreShortcutBody" registry settings but that does not do the trick. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

Did you use EV's Move Archive? That should update the shortcuts. If it did not, is there an error listed in the MoveArchive logfile? Did you see the following KB Articles?

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100054093

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100021341

If the 'old' site is removed, you might be able to set an alias in DNS, which points oldsite to newsite.

Regards. Gertjan

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks Gertan,

Yes, I used EV´s Move Archive. Checking logs and articles provided…

meuhassan
Level 4

Yes, you are missing something. The registry settings that you are using are only for fixing shortcuts that are stored in the mailbox itself. The shortcuts that you are referring to are stored in the archive, and therefore, you need to use a different set of registry settings to fix them.

The registry settings that you need to use are:

"FixShortcutLinksInArchive"=dword:00000001
"RestoreShortcutBodyInArchive"=dword:00000001

You need to set these registry settings on the mailbox server that is hosting the new archive. Once you have set these registry settings, you need to run shortcut processing for the mailbox again.

Here are the steps on how to set the registry settings:

1. Log in to the mailbox server as an administrator.
  2. Open the Registry Editor.
  3. Go to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange Server\v14\Mailbox
  1. Create a new DWORD value named "FixShortcutLinksInArchive".
  2. Set the value of the "FixShortcutLinksInArchive" value to 1.
  3. Create a new DWORD value named "RestoreShortcutBodyInArchive".
  4. Set the value of the "RestoreShortcutBodyInArchive" value to 1.

Once you have set the registry settings, you need to run shortcut processing for the mailbox again. You can do this by following these steps:

1. Open the Exchange Management Console.
  2. Expand the Mailboxes node.
  3. Right-click on the mailbox that you want to fix the shortcuts for.
  4. Click on the "Shortcut Processing" option.
  5. Click on the "Run" button.

Once you have run shortcut processing, the shortcuts should be updated to point to the new archive.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Sorry for the late response. This happened because I moved the old archive to new archive (not assign to any user because we did not know the mailbox still existed) - So... Archive move activity did not execute the shortcut processing step. We did it the right way with two new tasks and it seems to work fine. Thanks!

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks Meuhassan!

You know... I ran again the move archive task for that specific mailbox skipping duplicate (existing - already migrated) items and probably thereafter I´ll have to do the tasks you suggest. Y have a question though... I read somewhere  "FixShortcutLinksInArchive" and "RestoreShortcutBodyInArchive" cannot be set to 1 at the same time, Is that accurate? Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

IIRC fix links is lighter weight and will just fix the link.

Please keep in mind that restore shortcut body is extremely expensive and will likely cause issues if forgotten about and left set. You may want to set it as needed and do a batch at a time manually rather than let it fly uncontrolled.

Just my experience .

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks, I'll try!