cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing file servers What best practice for moving pointers to new server?

david_grubb
Level 2
Replacing numerous file servers What best practice for moving pointers to the new server? Restoring pointers from a tape backup to new server does not work for sure. Must be more to it....? Any help or article recommendation would be appreciated.... KVS support says we need to upgrade version 6.0 to 7.0. That's not going to happen any time soon. Need a work around fast....thanks in advance
3 REPLIES 3

Richard_ware
Level 5
David, from experience, i would recommend upgrade to V7, it has a utility called FSAUtility which is specifically for moving placeholders. If upgrade is not an option, If i were you i would do some testing. Back up some fileservers including placeholders, restore to alternative location. there is a regisrty key called EnabledVolumes, if you do a search on this site you'll find lots of references to it. Basically its a decimal number that tells EV what volumes are enabled for archiving, you could also run an archive on the volume you've restored to which would create/amend the key.

Good luck, if you need any more help/advice drop me a line

whatever you do, make sure you move the placeholders BEFORE the original server blows up!, Which is what happened to me, which has made the task 100 x more difficult.

Regards

Richard

david_grubb
Level 2
Thanks, I read where you have to install the placeholder service on the new server. In version 6, you have to keep the file structure and server name the same as well. Also, you have to add the EV server to trusted Intranet servers in IE. Looks like they have added a migration utility like you mentioned in Version 7. Not sure if we have that option, but it looks promising.

Robert_Guenther
Level 3
david,

if you do end up going to v7.0 , one quick note on using the FSAUtility: It only works at the folder level not the root level.  Meaning you can not do this:

fsautility -m -s \\mysource\share\ -d \\mydest\share\

it has to be:

it does not matter if you have the root "\" folder estabilished under your Volume in the VAC.

Also, I had a customer recently use robocopy to actually move the files.  One weird side effect was that robocopy actually moved the "shortcut" icon with the file. So at face value it looked like the files where still archived, but in fact they were not. 

Just something to think about ...

rob