cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention Categories

PATRICK_Kitchen
Level 6

EV7 SP3

Is there any limit to the number of retention categories that can be created in EV.

Also is it possible to delete a retention category when it has been created if I right click on the category it only shows a property tabs and no delete function

Many thanks

Pat

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
the amount of retention categories shouldnt slow down the archiving process, but what i will say is that usually that amount of retention categories is born from over complicating and over engineering a deployment.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MirrorSphere
Level 5
Partner Accredited

No but from administrations prespective you want to try and minimse the amount of categories that you have.

You can delete retention categories through the backend if you have just created it.

There will be a table in the Directory database called retentioncategoryentry or something like that.  Delete the row out of there.

Obviously, back up your database before etc.

Mnereng
Level 4
Pat, did you ever find out if there was limit on Retention Categories (or Provisioning Groups for that matter)?  I'm about to deploy a new site with about 240 of each.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
As far as I know, using that amount of provisioning groups will slow down provisioningtask itself. Is there no way to limit the amount? The more, the more chance on mistake.

Just a sidenote btw....
Regards. Gertjan

Mnereng
Level 4
This directory will serve a large geographical region including multiple countries.  And unfortunately each country requies its own long list of possible retentions.  I often feel like we're the only company with an EV implementation this complicated...

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
the amount of retention categories shouldnt slow down the archiving process, but what i will say is that usually that amount of retention categories is born from over complicating and over engineering a deployment.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Correct there is no limit but it sounds like they are using retention as a labelling exercise.  I know Symantec looked at doing it this way (I think some lawyers...) but then when you think about how long it will take users to use the correct category and what if they get it wrong etc.  So in general best to keep it simple.