cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SP4 or 8.0?

malibu63
Level 3
Question - we're using EV 7.5 (no SP) and wanted to know if we should go to SP4 or consider just going to EV 8.0? Any thoughts?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes you are correct it is either 2003 or 2008

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
I may be wrong but i believe you need to go to 7.5 SP4 before going to EV8.0 I think it is a requirement.

malibu63
Level 3

I've been trying to find out the prereq for going to 8.0 but no luck thus far.

Thanks for the info!

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Give me 10 mins i'm reading the requirements now

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

OK i was wrong you can upgrade from any version of 2007 to EV8

If you dont have any SP installed just the basic 2007 then uoi need this hotfix applied

http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290725

Install and run the version of Deployment scanner tha you get with EV8 to ensure you system has all the prereq's

The requirements are

Windows server 2003 with SP2 or later

Windows server 2008 Sp1 or later

MSMQ

.Net 2.0

IE6 or later

MSXML

Thats the basics

once you get the software the other data you need can be found under the Documentation directory of the CD or downloaded files

Always run the version of Deployment scanner that comes with it to ensure you have all you need

malibu63
Level 3

Great - Thanks for the help!

I assume it's either/or on the Server requirement because we are running 2003 SP2 but not on 08' yet.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

Yes you are correct it is either 2003 or 2008

Nick_Reeves
Level 4
Partner

Read through all the compat guides, install guides, and readme's for 8.0 very well. There are some odd caveats with EV8 right now. IE you can't use outlook 2007 on EV server, compat guide says Outlook 2002 is supported but when you try to install extensions you get error "Outlook 2003 or newer is required" etc.

malibu63
Level 3

Thanks for the good advice. Maybe we'll just go with SP4 for now and wait on the 8.0. upgrade. We're in the midst of a Exchange 2003 to 2007 upgrade right now and don't need any more screws thrown in.

Appreciate!

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Nick,

I believe you are looking in the wrong section.  Page 16 of the Dec 19th compatibility guide states that OL 2002 is not supported.

Regards,

Tony 

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6

This is an error in the documentation and has been reported to the relevant people so that it can be corrected. So to clear up any confusion:-

Outlook 2000 and 2002 (XP) should not be listed as supported with the EV8 client.

If you want to use either Outlook 2000 or Outlook 2002 then you should stay with the EV2007 client.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Thanks Paul, I misread the post to only be referring to the EV Server and not the Client.  Sorry for adding to the confusion.  ;)

malibu63
Level 3

Ok, so what if our clients are using 2003? We're also currently using Exchange 2003 so I am just trying to get "an official" ruling on going to SP4 vs. a full version upgrade from 7.5 to 8.0.

Thanks!

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6

If your clients are running Outlook 2003 then they can use any version of our client dependant on the version of your server as we work on a +1 -1 support model.

The only caveat to this is that the EV8 client will is not supported to run against any other server version thenb EV8.