cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Securely encrypting EV partition

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi People,

Can anyone please suggest me what features or software that I can use to securely encrypt the EV Vault Store partition ?

I have SEP v 12.1.2 but I cannot see any way to encrypt it or somehwere in EV 9.0.4 itself.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay, I see.

Well, in answer to the question about whether the file system containing Vault Store data can be encrypted. I would say 'yes'.  It's just a file system. It should be transparent to EV, right? Of course you're going to impact performance to some extent and you'll need to figure out how to provide the data to backup software.

Did you look in the Compatibility Guide to see if there is mention of encryption software?

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Can you not encrypt at the device level? Not really sure what the performance hit you'll get or from a support ability or a recovery standpoint
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Out f interest why do you want to? Do you encrypt the drives on your exchange servers?

John_Santana
Level 6

Well this is for the PCI-DSS requirement which requires me to encrypt the EV and the Exchange Server drive as well, because Email might contains credit card sensitive data.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay, I see.

Well, in answer to the question about whether the file system containing Vault Store data can be encrypted. I would say 'yes'.  It's just a file system. It should be transparent to EV, right? Of course you're going to impact performance to some extent and you'll need to figure out how to provide the data to backup software.

Did you look in the Compatibility Guide to see if there is mention of encryption software?

John_Santana
Level 6

Rob,

Do you mean from this doco: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH38537

I have searched the documentation and cannot see any encryption feature that is written in that document ?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

John, you might want to have a look at PGP for your encryption requirements. it is also from Symantec.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

If there is nothing mentioned in the guide, then cautiously you're free to explore and use anything you encounter.. but you must your skill and get thoughts from us here (perhaps) as to whether the 'solution' sounds okay.

John_Santana
Level 6

Andrew, does the PGP do the encryption like in WIndows Server BitLocker ?http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732725(v=ws.10).aspx

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i dont know enough about it to compare to MS's solution. however, if BitLocker is like anything else, then I would expect there to be major differences between a feature of windows and a full blown enterprise encryption suite.

John_Santana
Level 6

Yes, that is what I'm now confused and wondering if anyone here in the Symantec Forum has implemented BitLocker for the underlying EV Vaultstore.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Is there anything else that you need with this issue?

John_Santana
Level 6

No need Rob.

Thanks for the assistance guys...

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Glad to help,