cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selection of e-mail to archive

Goose_2
Level 3
Partner Accredited
My customer has Cisco Unity (a tool for storing voice mail on their Exchange Servers) and they do not want to archive these messages.  They appear to be a standard message class (so I can't not process them that way) but they all are sent by the same e-mail address.  Is there a way to tell Enterprise Vault to skip these messages and not archive them?  They need to stay in the Inbox in order for Unity to function properly.  I am hoping there is an obvious answer out there that I am overlooking and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Alan_M
Level 6
Unity voice messages are actually an extension of ipm.note so they are actually ipm.note.voice.unity and based on EV classes for archiving it is the entire class ipm.note* that is archived. I've never tried this but you may have two options. One, add this message class (ipm.note.voice.unity) specifically and make sure it is not selected for archiving. This would probably be my first option. Two, remove ipm.note* and just add ipm.note. This may have some unintended consequences so be careful and test thoroughly.

Another approach would be to create Outlook rules to sort these messages (based on sender address) into a specific folder that is not archived by EV. This is probably the easiest approach but relies heavily on users not messing with this approach, i.e. moving the messages out of the folder that is excluded from archiving.

There is actually no problem in archiving these messages (other than storage requirements) assuming that you have something other than a zero day archiving policy. With this the user should still be notified on their phone of a voice message and by the time it is archived this functionality should be irrelevant.

Message Edited by Alan M on 05-23-200703:01 PM

Goose_2
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Thanks for the input.  I have created the new class and made sure that it isn't being archived, so we shall see what happens.  Hopefully this works because I can see issues with the other options.

I will let you know.

Thanks!

Woody_2
Level 2
One consequence of 'moving' the message to a sub folder is either:

The message will no longer be accessible via the phone system - you will only be able to listen to it via outlook.

The message will no longer be tagged as a new message by the unity system (and though the phones)

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

Did this work?

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.