cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server driven PST migration behaving differently to client driven migration

Alex9999
Level 3

Hi,

I've got a little annoyance with the server driven PST migrations that hopefully someone can help me with. We've been doing client driven migrations with some success, but we're getting towards the end of our migration (for this part of the organisation anyway). There are some PST files that I would like to target that are not being migrated due to our PST migration policy (we are limiting the search to 'documents and settings').

Anyway, I've done a few server driven migrations and everything seems to work quite well, however,  with our client driven migrations, the PST file content isn't modified after the migration (we're then centralising the PST files just in case something goes horribly wrong). With the server driven migration, the PST file content is removed, and you're left with a PST file with a whole lot of folders, but no emails in them.

The PST file size in the vault admin console is reported as the modified file size (Typically less than 1MB). This is disrupting me, as I'm trying to keep count of how much data we've migrated.

Does anyone know how we can configure EV to not modify the PST files for server driven migrations? Or at least report on the original PST file size, not the modified file size.

We're running EV 8.0.4. Soon to be upgrading to 9.0.2 in the next couple of months.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

One of the options should be Compress PST file after migration, try unchecking that?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Alex9999
Level 3

Thanks, that solves half the problem. The file size is recorded correctly, but the file is empty. Our managment wasn't too keen on us automatically deleting migrated PST files. Leaving an empty PST file is essentially the same as just deleting a PST. Personally I'm not too fussed, because we have backups anyway...

Itzik_Gur
Level 4
Partner Accredited

From memory (I don't have a lab to test it right now), you can set an option not to delete the information from the PST or replace it with shortcuts within the PST. 

Perhaps in the PST policy?

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You can modify the server driven migration to exclude partition folders when searching - that way it wouldn't pick up the files you've migrated already by client driven migration.  Would that help?

Working for cloudficient.com