cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shortcut Processing/Deletion Based on Msg Sent/Received Date, Not Archived Date?

JVal33
Level 4
Long story short, it was necessary for me to export a user's archive to PST, delete the archive, and then reimport the PST's using PST Migrator.  Am I right in assuming that shortcut deletion settings are based on archived date, meaning that I will have to wait 1 year from yesterday when I imported all of the PST's for anything to be removed?  Is there any way to automate removal of these shortcuts based on the original send/receive date of the message?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner

With the PST Wizard the only options you have are No Shortcuts at all, Shortcuts in PST, Shortcuts in Mailbox.

You would have to use the server or client based pst migration to be able to use the no shortcuts older than option.

Judy

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

JVal33
Level 4
Sorry...

Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP2

JVal33
Level 4
Basically, is there a way to base shortcut processing on original send/receive date of the message, rather than archived date of the message?

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner
You should be able to accomplish this by opening the SITE properties and changing the "Based Expiry on" setting under the Storage Expiry TAB to used the "Modified Date" option.

Hope this helps!
Thanks,
Dennis

JVal33
Level 4
Hi Dennis, thanks for the response!  I thought this as well, but for whatever reason the setting is not taking effect.  I have restarted all services to make sure.  Any time I run a report for this particular user, it lists 'No Old Shortcuts' as 0, even though there are now shortcuts in the mailbox dating back to 2000.

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner
Does your Mailbox Policy contain a "Check" to allow Shortcut Deletion? I would recommend taking a look at this option and then rerunning the "Storage Expiry" process.

Hope it helps!
Thanks,
Dennis

JVal33
Level 4
Yep, shortcut deletion is enabled and set at 1 year in the mailbox policy.  I thought that in EV 8.0, shortcut processing runs everytime that archiving runs?  Or if I just manually run shortcut processing for the specific mailbox, shouldn't that then remove the age-expired shortcuts?  We don't currently use retention expiry, so nothing is ever deleted from the archive, just old shortcuts are removed from the mailbox.

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner
Thanks for the heads up! I did not know about that feature...the archiving run should kick off the shortcut process. I was able to confirm it with the below article.

Also, please take a look at that KB. The first paragraph talks about shortcuts never deleting if a particular setting under the Storage Expiry tab is set to NEVER. Please confirm and advise on your feedback.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/329346.htm

Hope it helps!
Thanks,
Dennis

JVal33
Level 4
Thanks for the info!  According to the KB, doesn't that just apply to expired items, ie items in the archive that reached their retention period and were permanently deleted from the archive?  The task would then go and cleanup the orphaned shortcuts.  We don't use that however, we just have shortcuts older than 1 year removed from the user's mailbox, but items are never removed from the archive itself.

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner
Do you have a LAB environment or a test account you can use to import this same PST file? Testing it first may be the best approach.

I believe the above KB applies to expired items and to shortcuts. Since you Retention Period are held "forever"...no archived items will be deleted with this process. However it is my understanding that this should clean up shortcuts.

Can anyone in this forum comment on the above and confirm if this is NOT the route to follow?

Thanks for your help!
Dennis

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner

Shortcut deletion is based on archive date.

The PST migration policy has an option for NOT creating shortcuts older than a specific date.  If this option had been set when you imported the PST you wouldn't have all those shortcuts for items from year 2000.

Yes, you will probably have to wait for a year to have those older shortcuts deleted from that particular mailbox.

You could go through the process of exporting and importing that PST again choosing not to create shortcuts for items older than one year.  That is a lot of work, but I don't think there is much else you can do. 

Judy

JVal33
Level 4
Hi Judy, thanks for the response.  Is there any way to do this when just doing an ad-hoc PST migration using the PST Migrator, rather than using an actual Migration Policy?  I looked but did not see it, so I'm thinking that option isn't available?

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner

With the PST Wizard the only options you have are No Shortcuts at all, Shortcuts in PST, Shortcuts in Mailbox.

You would have to use the server or client based pst migration to be able to use the no shortcuts older than option.

Judy

JVal33
Level 4
Great, thanks everyone for your help.

JV