cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Expiry...

dand
Level 3
I'm new to EV and have set my Storage Expiry to modified date.  My question is what does EV consider the modified date of an email?  So if I archive an emails with a retention period of say 1 year will it archive than delete all emails older than 1 year?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You are correct. If it is set to never the expiry will not automatically run

Personally i prefer to also set my retention catagories to keep forever to ensure that if someone hits the run now button on expiry nothing will get wiped by mistake

Some more comments on expiry

When deleting by modified date, Any email that has an attachement and that attachement is older than the email. Expiry will delete the attachement if it meets the expiry dates and leave the email in the archive.

This is because EV archived emails and attachements as seperate items

Also good to know that Expiry when initiated will delete items to the exact Date and time and second when the expiry is run

So if you start expiry at noon and it is set to 3 years. Expiry will delete items that were archived before noon 3 years ago. If you run Expiry in report mode and get a number. To match that number when you initiate the actual expiry at the same time.

Example You run expiry in report mode at noon today and you get a hit count of 2000. If you run the actual expiry at noon tomorrow your deletes will be higher because you are including an additional day.

If you need to keep track of this and know exactly how many items you will be deleting. It is best to run expiry by the numbers of days old. This way if you run expiry in repot mode today at noon to get a number

then tomorrow you add one more day to the expiry duration in your retention catagories and initiate the delete at noon tomorrow. By doing this your report mode and your actual delete numbers will match.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

I hope the help explains this(not sure) but modified date is actually a 'calculated date' ie the date we actually used is based upon an algorithm based upon the type of item.  So for example for email we will used the received date first if it exists, if it doesn't we'll use the sent date etc...  

So yes if the email was sent 1 year ago it will get deleted.

dand
Level 3
Thanks and last question, in EV under the Site Properties on the Storage Expiry tab, as long as that is set to never it's not going to purge the vault of expired items until I run it, correct?  Thanks again. 

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You are correct. If it is set to never the expiry will not automatically run

Personally i prefer to also set my retention catagories to keep forever to ensure that if someone hits the run now button on expiry nothing will get wiped by mistake

Some more comments on expiry

When deleting by modified date, Any email that has an attachement and that attachement is older than the email. Expiry will delete the attachement if it meets the expiry dates and leave the email in the archive.

This is because EV archived emails and attachements as seperate items

Also good to know that Expiry when initiated will delete items to the exact Date and time and second when the expiry is run

So if you start expiry at noon and it is set to 3 years. Expiry will delete items that were archived before noon 3 years ago. If you run Expiry in report mode and get a number. To match that number when you initiate the actual expiry at the same time.

Example You run expiry in report mode at noon today and you get a hit count of 2000. If you run the actual expiry at noon tomorrow your deletes will be higher because you are including an additional day.

If you need to keep track of this and know exactly how many items you will be deleting. It is best to run expiry by the numbers of days old. This way if you run expiry in repot mode today at noon to get a number

then tomorrow you add one more day to the expiry duration in your retention catagories and initiate the delete at noon tomorrow. By doing this your report mode and your actual delete numbers will match.