cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping a vault to a new Mailbox

Glenn_Martin
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Here's a good real world problem. A user moves offices and for reasons I won't even begin to go into, he is given a new mailbox but then asks if he can have access to his old vault. I thought wouldn't it be nice (user friendly) if I assign his old vault to his new mailbox, however his old mailbox still exists so is obviously linked to his original vault). It's now to late to move his mailbox (as would be done normally); OK I know we could simply re-secure his old vault and then he'd have access.

As far as I remember (I'm sure I did this once before) it should be a case of updating the ExchangeMailboxEntry table but so far I've not quite done it.

OK, I know mucking around with your DB can lead to problems but it would be nice trick to be able to perform so has anyone ever done this successfully before & can remember what they did?

Thanks
Glenn
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You will want to zap the mailbox, then change the defaultvaultid to be the one you want for the account, then synch the mailbox. That should keep it the new one.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Assuming user has full client.
Goto properties of Mailbox root and goto ev properties tab.
In there you specify the archive that you want the user to use. So if you specify their old archive then any new emails will be sent to that archive and I'm pretty sure that process also makes it become their default vault

Glenn_Martin
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Will see if it works, the problem is that we lock that property away so it's not exposed normally - might be good thing too. I've tried again with SQL but each time I re-sync it get's changed back to how things were...perhaps I should ZAP the mailbox. Failing that, I'll probably just export the vault and re-import into the new mailboxes, new vault.

Either way, this goes back to the wish list, the admin console should be instrumented to provide this function.

Glenn

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You will want to zap the mailbox, then change the defaultvaultid to be the one you want for the account, then synch the mailbox. That should keep it the new one.

Glenn_Martin
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Unfortunately I had to go for the export old vault and re-import into new vault. I wasn't happy doing this because it's not ideal for the user.

However, I'll pick another candidate and test the ZAP theory and report back. I'm pretty sure that's what I did last time. Though I still think this is one for an admin toolkit feature on the console.

Will report back.
Glenn