cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Enterprise Vault 10.0 and how to move individual user PST's to vault?

belnetsolutions
Level 3

Hi, we have just completed the legwork installation and configuration of EV 10.0.1 onto our datacenter.  We currently have it running with Exchange 2010 and users have Outlook 2007; however we have not archived anything yet.  We would like to start with archiving user PST's first.

Our problem currenlty lies with how to move user PST's into vault.  After reading the guides, it seems that we would need to do a PST locator, collector, then migrator task; however it looks like this would search the entire network for PST's, grab them, then move them into a central location over the network.  We actually already have all the user PST's in one central location on a data drive, within the EV server.  There are about 50 users, each of which have their own folders and individual PST's inside them, all located on the central data drive.

My question is, how can we move each user's PST's into vault, and make sure vault knows which user mailbox to correspond with the PST.  We cannot find a guide on this, and are only able to locate information on the locate, collect, migrate tasks...any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So for only 50 users I would use the PST import wizard.  Details can be found here:

Outline of the wizard-assisted PST migration process

Article:HOWTO56854  |  Created: 2011-08-01  |  Updated: 2012-09-23  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO56854

As you go through the wizard you will tell it what PST to put where.

HTH!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So for only 50 users I would use the PST import wizard.  Details can be found here:

Outline of the wizard-assisted PST migration process

Article:HOWTO56854  |  Created: 2011-08-01  |  Updated: 2012-09-23  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO56854

As you go through the wizard you will tell it what PST to put where.

HTH!

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I think Tony's idea is great - how on earth did you manage to get the users PST files all in one place ?!  Are they secretly building new PST files that you don't know about ? :)

Another option, with just 50 users, is client driven PST migration ..  but as you've got the PSTs in one place already, hoover them up with the Wizard in the Vault Admin Console.

Working for cloudficient.com

belnetsolutions
Level 3

Thanks for the info Tony, i will take a look over the documentation and see if I can get it to work right.

Rob;  we actually spent 2 weeks moving PST's over to a central location.  Turned off their auto-archiving and informed user's not to archive accordingly.  Was a tedious process, but assume it will help us a lot in long run.  

Thanks again

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Cool beans..  I'm surprised that you managed that - even 50 users is like herding cats, blindfolded :)

Working for cloudficient.com