cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronizing Outlook and Vault Permissions - Enhancement Request

Robert_Ton
Level 5
This is a question for Symantec: Is there any momentum to have Enterprise Vault be able to automatically honor Outlook permissions? For example, say I grant access to 3 specific folders to my assistant. Outside of those folders, they have no access to the rest of my mailbox. What would be nice is when my assistant uses Archive Explorer or Search Vaults to access my vault, they would only be able to access/see items in those 3 folders, and not my entire mailbox/vault. I don't believe there is any mechanism to do this today with the current release. (We're running 8.0 SP2)

Hope this question makes sense...

Thanks

Bob
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Maverik
Level 6

My understanding and cases I have had in the past concerning permissions means that delegated permissions should do the triick and sync nicely to the folders that you specifiy. 

Again trying to recall from memory but I believe Rob is correct.  You will have folder permissions through Archive Explorer to see the structure, but you should not be able to open any items outside of this? Is this what you are seeing? I cannot recall if you can acutally see the items in folders you dont have permissions to.  Sorry would need to test to refresh myself on this.

One thing that I am 100% clear about.  If you are only delegating permissions to a few folders then this user SHOULD NOT be able to open items in any other folder.  If you have this and are certain the user has no permissions at mailbox level etc etc then log a case, I am sure there wil be a explanation there somewhere.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
AFAIK the mailbox synchronisation will do this ... but I've not tried it in a while.  I mean I've tried it by doing it manually from the VAC (right click the mailbox task, go to properties, then the synchronisation tab and then synching).

One thing to consider though is that for Archive Explorer to work properly you will need to have folder visible rights in the tree down to the folder, so for example say you have given permissions to this folder structure :-

Top of Information Store
                                     \Inbox
                                            \RoberTons Shared Folder <<< permissions given here

Then you need to have folder visible rights on the Inbox, and on Top Of Information Store.

I forget whether the synch process build thats for you.

Working for cloudficient.com

Maverik
Level 6

My understanding and cases I have had in the past concerning permissions means that delegated permissions should do the triick and sync nicely to the folders that you specifiy. 

Again trying to recall from memory but I believe Rob is correct.  You will have folder permissions through Archive Explorer to see the structure, but you should not be able to open any items outside of this? Is this what you are seeing? I cannot recall if you can acutally see the items in folders you dont have permissions to.  Sorry would need to test to refresh myself on this.

One thing that I am 100% clear about.  If you are only delegating permissions to a few folders then this user SHOULD NOT be able to open items in any other folder.  If you have this and are certain the user has no permissions at mailbox level etc etc then log a case, I am sure there wil be a explanation there somewhere.

Itzik_Gur
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I agree with both The Don and Rob.

We have the same scenario and a user who shares only certain folders will allow the other user to see only those folders content. The mailbox Synch process will do the job as far as reflecting the permissions within EV.

Cheers,
Itzik

Robert_Ton
Level 5
With EV 6, we seemed to have issues getting that to work. But at least I know now that given the right Outlook permissions, the permissions portion of the mailbox sync should pick those up. As I said before, we're on 8.0 SP2 now (although we used 7.0 and 7.5 to get to 8.0, we never were running those levels in production) so I'll check it out again.

Thanks!