cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total remove Enterprise Vault User Extensions and offline subdirectories

Chris_Hasler
Level 3
Anyone out there know a procedure to totally unistall all items related to the Enterprise Vault User Extensions 6.0?

I successfully removed the Users Extensions with Add/Remove programs but the offline folder in the users profile subdirectory C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\KVS\Enterprise Vault\ subdirectory is still on the workstation. Also there are still registry entries in HKCU\Software\KVS.

Trying to unistall and then reinstall and recreate the offline vault structure from scratch as part of an attempt to solve another issue...would like to start fresh...been working on this workstation almost all day and getting really frustrated with this product.

Even called support for the orignal problem and was given little help and no troubleshooting steps at all besides...uninstall Extensions and Outlook, delete Profile, reinstall outllook/recreate profile, recache all mail, reistall Enterprise vault extensions, and try recreating offline vault.

Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,
You can just get EV to delete the offline vault if that's what you want.

Just hold down shift ctrl and click one of the EV buttons on the tool bar.
Then you'll get a diagnostics dialog box from there you can choose reset offline vault and exit and re-enter outlook.

Mike

Chris_Hasler
Level 3
Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. I already tried your approach to recreate the offline vault and it did not solve the original issue.

Also once you unistall the User Extensions the EV buttons are removed from the toolbar.

Chris H.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
ok, lets look at this another way.

What's your problem :)

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Chris,...
Sheesh...sounds like support was fishing for nuclear option to help fix your problem. While I agree with you that the uninstaller sucks for offline vault (especially in your situation), I tend to follow and hold suit with Mike da Dodo's query... What was the original problem that started all this chaos in the first place? If we've seen/heard of it, we'll help you fix that and perhaps spare you some of this trauma pain.

micah

Chris_Hasler
Level 3
The original problem is that I have a client that when attempting to access a message stored in the archive vault it takes over 5 minutes to retrieve.

We are using Outlook 2003 SP2 with Enterprise Vault 6.0.3. The user can access the messages in the archive vault using the preview pane in Outlook just fine no hesitation or delay but if the user double clicks on the message to open it in it's own window it takes over 5 minutes for the message to retrieve.

Also if the "Update offline vault" button is clicked, the Enterprise Vault Download window is displayed but nothing happens no progress bar and no activity in the window. The windows displays for about 5 mintues and then just closes. If I check the ev_client_log after attempting to update there are the following errors

02/01/2007 21:43:43.541: +++ Got NON success code from IIS '401'
02/01/2007 21:43:43.543: Sleeping for '60000' seconds
02/01/2007 21:46:37.447:
02/01/2007 21:46:37.447: Auto download listener started.
02/01/2007 21:46:37.447:
02/01/2007 21:49:43.735: Failed to send request to server 12002
02/01/2007 21:51:10.051: Exchange connection state: 9

Also the Vault Information has the following errors

USER DETAILS

User MailboxError getting the MAPI Property - ref: 8004010f
RPC over HTTP flags34

ENTERPRISE VAULT SETTINGS

Site IdError - ref: 8004010f
Web App URLhttp://MSNEV1.ali.pri/EnterpriseVault
Loading settingsOK
UI SettingNot Ignored
ARCHIVEBTNVISIBLE0
SEARCHBTNVISIBLENot set
CANCELBTNVISIBLE0
RESTOREBTNVISIBLE0
DELETEBTNVISIBLE0
USERSCANDELETEITEMS1

TESTING CONNECTION

LAN Manager Authentication Level1
Create ConnectionOK
Retention categoryError - ref: c0042162

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. The users is at a remote site (hence the use of Outlook in cached mode and the offline vault) but other users do not have any of the same issues.

I have tried the following:

-Uninstalled and reistalled the Enterprise Vault User Extensions.
-Turned off all software firewall programs
-Reset the Offline Vault (twice)
-Ran a repair of Outlook
-Reregistered the cdo.dll
-Unistalled the EV User Extensions, deleted mail profile, moved the users cached mailbox .ost file, created a new mail profile with a new .ost, cached all mail again, reistalled the EV User Extensions and rebuilt the local offline vault.

All to no avail.
Chris H.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Are you using RPC over HTTP?
What happens if users views items from search results still a delay.
You said you'd spoken with SYMC support but did you speak to them about this original problem or just the removal?
You need to set client trace to high and reproduce the problem and send it to them.

Chris_Hasler
Level 3
We only configure Outlook to use RPC over HTTP sometimes...mostly in sites with firewalls. I tried both ways with same results.

I have not tried seaching for an item in the vault yet. Will do so.

Yes I called Symantec about the original problem. I also set the client logging to maximum and sent several ev_client logs as well as the DownloadTask.xml and the Vault Info text to the support technician. No response at all yet.

Chris H.

Chris_Hasler
Level 3
Searching for an item in the Archive Vault finds the item quickly and message is displayed in Outlook preview pane but upon double-clicking the item have to wait several minutes then get the message "The item is not in the offline vault. If you want to download it now you must have a network connection. Do you want to download this item now or later?" Selecting "Now" get the pop-up window "Enterprise Vault is retreiving your item. Locating the item..." then approx. 5 minutes later the message is displayed. At the top of the message get the text.
"This item was achived by Enterprise Vault on Thursday, December 14, 2006 10:40:10 PM
There was an error loading this item -- some functionality may not be available"

If I then close the archived message (the one I just did a find for and "download Now") and double click again...same exact thing happens, wait several minutes...prompt of "The item is not in the offline vault...", select download Now...5 minutes later message is displayed.

Checking the ev_client log finally retreiving the message I see:
CShortcutItem::Display...Return Last Failed error: 0x80004005

This is not how the offline vault folder works on my workstation. I it I can solve the MAPI errors in the Enterprise Vault Information log and the time out errors and Exchange connection state: 9 in the ev_client log this workstation would not have these issues. Question is how do I solve this?

I have now sent a DTrace verbose log of the EVStgOfflineOpns from the Enterprise Vault server after doing an "Update offline vault" on the problem workstation and my workstation to support.

Chris H.

Chris_Hasler
Level 3
I'm happy to report that the original issue with the users offline vault has been resolved. To solve the issue we selected the following setting in Internet Explorer.

-Open Internet Explorer
-Select the Tools drop down menu
-Select Internet Options...
-Select the Advanced tab
-Scroll down to the Security section
-Look for the "Enable Integrated Windows Authentication" option

Ensure that the "Enable Integrated Windows Authentication" option is selected. Once this change is made close IE and Outlook and restart then click the "Update offline vault" toolbar button.

Hopefully this post can help someone else that may have the same issue.

Regards.
Chris H.