Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected behavior when archiving retention folders

Ryan_the_Red
Level 5
Partner

Hi all

I'm having some issues with an admittedly rather complex configuration of FSA archiving.

Problem Statement

Items in a specific folder in a retention folder hierarchy are being archived and shortcuts are being left to the item. The expected behavior from the configuration is that the item is archived and NO shortcuts are left to the item. This is because the folder in question is referenced by an Apache webserver which cannot deal with offline files.

I'm omitting actual configuration information but the following will give you a good idea.

Configuration Details

\\target1 is setup as a file server target. It has the FSA Agent version 7.5.3 installed

VOLUME1 is setup as a volume under this file server. The Default Volume Policy is applied.

SomeDept\SomeFolderRoot is set up as a folder. A Retention Folder policy is applied. This defines a hierarchy of subfolders and a specific policy for each. The _Intranet folder, our culprit, has the Intranet Folder policy applied.

Default Volume Policy

The Shortcuts tab is configured to leave a placeholder shortcut and delete orphaned placeholders. Archiving rules are defined in this policy for Office Files, Image Files, etc.

Retention Folder Policy

Not much additional to say here. The hierarchy is defined correctly and the _Intranet folder has the appropriate policy applied : The Intranet Folder Policy below.

Intranet Folder Policy

The shortcuts tab is completely clear. There are no shortcuts being left and there is no deletion of orphaned placeholders. We did not check the tab to inherit the volume policy. The retention category is likewise explicitly defined. The only rule on the Rules tab is All Files Copy and Reset. This archives *.* and uses the action archive copy and reset. Filters: Last Modified > 1 month and Attributes "Ready for Archiving."

So you will imagine our confusion that files that are archived are getting placeholder shortcuts and causing Apache issues (it can't deal with offline files).

Errors

This particular installation has a number of out of memory errors occurring. We believe this is do to the large number of files that need to be archived and will eventually go away. The out of memory errors also occur during runs of the fsautility.

Possible Issues

At this client it is possible that the files were archived under the incorrect policy previously, and now are simply reverting to placeholders rather than actually being re-shortcutted. I'm aware of this, but I'm reaching out for other ideas, as we're pretty sure the policies were correct during the archive runs.

3 REPLIES 3

Ryan_the_Red
Level 5
Partner

More information

Client confirms that archiving may have been run under an incorrect policy in the past.

So with this said I could restore the items to the location using fsautility. However, fsautility does not seem to allow us to delete the items from the archive, which I assume is required to stop the files from reverting to placeholders.

Ryan

Ryan_the_Red
Level 5
Partner

Maybe I could simplify eh?

1) Could someone tell me if my configuration documented above would produce the setting of placeholder shortcuts, as I don't think it could. I have confirmed the policies stated are being applied per the reports in the \Reports folder.

2) Could someone provide a good way to restore files from the archive to original locations and prevent them from being re-shortcutted? I assume what needs to happen is to delete the archived item in order to prevent this from happening. FSA Utility does not seem to do this, it just restores and leaves the archived item.

rickg
Not applicable

Ryan

i believe we can help you with your issue. Go to our site

www.vault-solutions.com  We have developed software to help with retention issues

Rick