cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ungrouped Server Index

Groombro
Level 3

Hello

I am having a problem with indexing and the amount of disk i/o it generates on the back-end storage.

I have a system with seven exchange servers spread across 2 archive boxes (we have a seperate journal and File archiving servers)

we orginally only had one archive box but due to the processor usage being high constantly, we needed to split the archive jobs across onto a second server. This resolved the processor issue. however althougth the jobs were moved the indexing seemed to remain on the orginal server. is there a way i can cluster the two archive servers to properly split the index tasks or move the archives for the jobs i moved to the second box to be indexed there and not on the first box ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

The indexing will continue to run on the server where the indexes are located.  Even if you create separate vault stores for archives and move the archives the indexes will remain in the current location.  The only way to "rebalance" the indexes is to physiclally copy the indexes to a new location then then use the "Manage Index" wizard to repoint SQL to the new location.  It is a very manual and intensive process. 

Alternatively, you can close the index locations on the old server, forcing EV to create any new indexes on the new server.  The old indexes will remain in use but no new indexes will be created.

View solution in original post

Elio_C
Level 6

Agree, move some or all of the Indexes. I assume you're using EV10/11 and can use Index Server Groups to (crudely) balance the Indexing load.

I did similar in EV9 albeit using a dedicated Indexing server, Indexing seemed to be the most intensive process in our environment, https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/ev9-moving-indexes-new-server.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

How many vault stores do you have for your Exchange mailboxes?  It sounds like your new EV server it archiving mailboxes but then passing the data back to the original EV Server.

Can you describe the steps you did to split the archiving?

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

The indexing will continue to run on the server where the indexes are located.  Even if you create separate vault stores for archives and move the archives the indexes will remain in the current location.  The only way to "rebalance" the indexes is to physiclally copy the indexes to a new location then then use the "Manage Index" wizard to repoint SQL to the new location.  It is a very manual and intensive process. 

Alternatively, you can close the index locations on the old server, forcing EV to create any new indexes on the new server.  The old indexes will remain in use but no new indexes will be created.

Elio_C
Level 6

Agree, move some or all of the Indexes. I assume you're using EV10/11 and can use Index Server Groups to (crudely) balance the Indexing load.

I did similar in EV9 albeit using a dedicated Indexing server, Indexing seemed to be the most intensive process in our environment, https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/ev9-moving-indexes-new-server.