cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Entprise Vault 7.0 Sp3 to v8?

jjerebic
Level 2
I was wondering if this is possible?

we currently have v7 on a VM within our vmware platform on esx 3.5 and it is working very well. we only use it for archiving exchange data.

the preference for me would be to create a brand new machine and install v8 on it and then move the exchange archive data to it. as well we want to implement the FSA with it. We want to use our data domain as the main store for both exchange archive data and FSA. Is this possible and as well is there some documentation on it somewhere?

any help would be appreciated. thanks

Joe
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
No, you cannot move the DB's to the new server, you must follow the upgrade steps.

Check the UpgradeInstructions_EN.htm that is part of the install media.

Server upgrade paths
This document describes how to upgrade to Enterprise Vault 8.0 from any version of Enterprise Vault 2007.

The only possible server upgrade path to Enterprise Vault 2008 is from Enterprise Vault 2007. If your Enterprise Vault servers are running an earlier version of Enterprise Vault you must first upgrade to Enterprise Vault 2007 before you can upgrade to Enterprise Vault 8.0.

Regards,

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling
no, you can't do it that way.

You will need to upgrade EV 7 to EV 2007 and then EV 8.  After that you can move to your new hardware following that.

You would follow the Data only backup steps in the admin guide to move to the new hardware.

Regards,

jjerebic
Level 2
thanks Tony for the quick reply and the info. much appreciated.

jjerebic
Level 2
so if i create a fresh install of ev8 on a new server am i not able to move the exchange store from the ev7 to ev8?

i know the standalone upgrade does not work from ev7->ev8 but just wondering if you can move the DB to the new ev8 server? I just want to make this upgrade(or fresh install) as simple as possible.

TonySterling
No, you cannot move the DB's to the new server, you must follow the upgrade steps.

Check the UpgradeInstructions_EN.htm that is part of the install media.

Server upgrade paths
This document describes how to upgrade to Enterprise Vault 8.0 from any version of Enterprise Vault 2007.

The only possible server upgrade path to Enterprise Vault 2008 is from Enterprise Vault 2007. If your Enterprise Vault servers are running an earlier version of Enterprise Vault you must first upgrade to Enterprise Vault 2007 before you can upgrade to Enterprise Vault 8.0.

Regards,

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You cannot do that with Enterprise Vault itself NO. There are third party tools such as Archive Shuttle that can do that sort of thing.

jjerebic
Level 2
sorry..i dont want to move the sql Databases....i want to move the actual data from ev 7 to ev8....but i take it it won't work from what i've gathered

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
And you can get Archive Shuttle by going to our website http://www.evtools.net ;)

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.