cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading EnterpriseVault from 8.0.4 to 9.0.2

Stanley_Korivi
Level 3

Hi, I have some questions regarding upgrading Enterprise vault from 8.0.4 to 9.0.2. Can someone please advise? Little bit abour environment. we have about 3500 users, one enterprise vault server, SQL on a seperate server, we only use EV for Mailbox Archving .

1) . The upgrade documenation says that EV 9.0 does not support outlook addins earlier than 8.0. We currently have Our outlook client addin version  8.0.2.1693. we are only upgrading server version to 9.0.2 for now & not client outlook add-ins. I just wanted to confirm & double check if it is ok postponing the outlook - addins version to 9.0.2 at later time as our outlook version is 8.0.2?

2) We have about 3TB data of Archived data,Cache is about 30GB, Index is 300GB. we use NTFS partions & not centera.  Any idea how long it takes ( or approx hours ) to upgrade the Directory database, vaultstore & fingerprint database for this amount of data when upgrading from 8.0 to 9.0.2? since there is no progress bar & i have rely on event logs i wanted to get an approximate time it takes to upgrade the whole process?

3)We currently have exchange 2007 but later second quarter this year we will be moving to exchange 2010. Do i need to run any additonal requirements during this upgrade process for exchange 2010 so it can be exchange 2010 ready or can i take care of exchange 2010 requirements when we actually install exchange 2010?

Thanks in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Stanley,

EV server version and current Outlook client version is OK. I do advise to upgrade client also in the future. verify combination in the compatability guide located here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38537 

Numbers you indicate are not necessary. The numbers that ARE interesting is the size(s) of your databases, the number of rows and some other things. Remember that upgrading EV is (as far as data is concerned) is actually upgrading databases.

I have done upgrades on fairly large environments, and the whole process of actually upgrading (ie starting directory service, wait, then storage service to upgrade store and fingerprint db) should not take more than 10 to 15 minutes. You have to start checking your sql server if it gets longer than an hour (again, in my experience)

third point is up to you. the only real requirement is to have Outlook 2007 on the ev server when you want to archive from ex2010 (there are some more like VSA needing a mailbox on ex2010, throttling disabled etc), but that CAN be done later. Do check the install and configure guide, and the upgrade document that comes with 9.

General remark:

backup backup backup. Make sure you have a valid (restorable) backup of at least your SQL databases. If possible, make a backup of the SQL databases (full) just before starting the directory service. That way returning to EV8 if needed, is fast. A data/index backup is always good, but not necessarily necessary to be done before upgrading. (unless your backup is fast). Also be patient when the db's are being upgraded. it might take a little. Don't panic. 

Good luck!

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA

Hi Stanley,

EV server version and current Outlook client version is OK. I do advise to upgrade client also in the future. verify combination in the compatability guide located here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38537 

Numbers you indicate are not necessary. The numbers that ARE interesting is the size(s) of your databases, the number of rows and some other things. Remember that upgrading EV is (as far as data is concerned) is actually upgrading databases.

I have done upgrades on fairly large environments, and the whole process of actually upgrading (ie starting directory service, wait, then storage service to upgrade store and fingerprint db) should not take more than 10 to 15 minutes. You have to start checking your sql server if it gets longer than an hour (again, in my experience)

third point is up to you. the only real requirement is to have Outlook 2007 on the ev server when you want to archive from ex2010 (there are some more like VSA needing a mailbox on ex2010, throttling disabled etc), but that CAN be done later. Do check the install and configure guide, and the upgrade document that comes with 9.

General remark:

backup backup backup. Make sure you have a valid (restorable) backup of at least your SQL databases. If possible, make a backup of the SQL databases (full) just before starting the directory service. That way returning to EV8 if needed, is fast. A data/index backup is always good, but not necessarily necessary to be done before upgrading. (unless your backup is fast). Also be patient when the db's are being upgraded. it might take a little. Don't panic. 

Good luck!

Regards. Gertjan

Stanley_Korivi
Level 3

Hi Gertjan,

Thank you very much for your response. when i ran deployment scanner on my production network the outlook version came up with following warning "Microsoft Outlook 2003 Service Pack 2 detected. If you currently archive from Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, or plan to implement Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 archiving, see the Enterprise Vault Compatibility Charts at http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276547 for the latest information on supported versions of Microsoft Outlook."

Any idea why i am getting this error .When i checked the comptability list, Outlook 2003SP2 is supported in both EV9.0 & EV10.0. I could not find anywhere in compatbility list that exchange 2010 requires outlook 2007 or greater than outlook 2003 sp2. Has this been changed recently or is it requirement to have outlook 2007 client on EV server for exchange 2010 ?

Thanks,

Stanley

TonySterling

The Deployment Scanner is correct.  Not sure why it isn't in the Compatibility doc.

Recommend you give this a read:

How to configure EV 9 with Exchange 2010
Technical Whitepaper - Enterprise Vault 9 Archiving from Exchange 2010.pdf (703

TonySterling

Actually it is there.  Page 19 note h:

Required for Exchange Server archiving of Exchange Server 2010 targets.

Stanley_Korivi
Level 3

Hi Tony, Thank you very much. I found it now. Also thanks for sharing the technical white paper. It will be really helpfull.

GertjanA

The statement is correct:

Microsoft Outlook 2003 Service Pack 2 detected. If you currently archive from Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, or plan to implement Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 archiving

It mentions when you want to archive frmo EXCHANGE2010. It does not reference the EV-version...

Other than that. you're welcome.

If your question is answered, can you set one of the answers as solution?

Regards. Gertjan