cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User needs to log in when accessing Vault

Jeff1981
Level 4
Hi,

since last week, some of our 400 users get a login screen when accessing the Vault through Outlook 2003. All users use Outlook 2003. When they log in, they have to enter their domainusername and password. Clicking the "Remember password" box doens't help, the next time they have to enter their password again.

This problem was accompanied by another problem. After logging in, only these users got a message stating there was a problem with running scripts. Clicking "Yes" let them enter their archives. The script error message would return at random interval. Upgrading from EV 6.0 SP3 to 6.0 SP4 solved that problem. The login problem however, still exists.

Do you guys have a solution for this?
9 REPLIES 9

Rob_Hanson
Level 6
Employee
Look into the Setting "Add Server to Intranet Zone" in the desktop Policy

Jeff1981
Level 4
I've checked, it already is in the Local Intranet Zone. What I did find out however, is that with the users where the problem does not occur, the website which is opened in Outlook is the following:

Whereas the users who are experiencing the problem open the following website:

Somehow it seems with these users, the Vault doesn't recognize the Integrated Windows Authentication. Furthermore, before last week, these users didn't experience any problem. The following Windows updates were last applied before the error occured, although I haven't found a direct link between those updates and the error yet:

KB916846: Update voor Windows XP -
KB931836: Update voor Windows XP -
Windows Hulpprogramma voor verwijderen van schadelijke software - apr 2007 (KB890830)

Phil_McDougal
Level 5
Jeff,

I'm having a very similar issue.  I have 2 users out of 500 that are being prompted for credentials.  I've been informed that this has been happening for a "a while" but they finally told me about it today... Smiley Mad

The only one of your hotfixes that we have installed is KB931836.  I agree that for some reason credentials are not being passed properly.  I have recreated the Outlook profiles to no avail. 

Thanks!
PM

Jeff1981
Level 4
Hiya Phil,

KB931836 only sets new daylight saving time settings, so I don't think that's the source of our problem. Today, another user reported she gets a login screen when accessing the Vault. She also reported a script error which comes up after she logs in. This one is a bit different than the one we experienced before. When she clicks Yes, Outlook shuts down, in stead of taking her to the Vault.

Jeff1981
Level 4
The error in my previous post was solved by deleting Temporary Internet Files (through Internet Explorer).

The login error has been solved by the following actions:

Created a GPO for Internet Explorer Settings
Setting http://*.domainname.local to "Intranet Zone"
Setting http://VaultServerName to "Trusted Sites Zone"
Setting Logon options to "Automatic logon with current username and password" for "Trusted sites Zone"
Setting Logon options to "Automatic logon only in Intranet Zone" for "Intranet Zone"

Additional actions were rolling back from Windows Server 2003 SP2 to Windows Server 2003 SP1 and upgrading EV 6.0 SP3 to EV 6.0 SP4 and distributing the new version of the Veritas Lite User Extensions (can't say wether these actions were part of solving the problems or not)

Phil_McDougal
Level 5
Jeff,

I wasn't getting that error so I'm not sure if my troubleshooting will help... But  you never know ...

I tried rebuilding the Outlook profile.  No help; still getting prompted.  Putting in the password didn't work.

Cleared the password forms and cache in IE and got prompted (which is what I expected) but entering the password still didn't work.

I then checked the zones like you did.  All systems were populated in the right places so I removed them and readded them; got prompted again and was able then able to log in. 

Obviously, this person will have issues again in 29 days when his password expires so at least this is a work around.  I can log into that person's account just fine on my machine and the Vault system so the next thing I'm going to try is rebuild the Windows profile.  I might force the issue by making the person change their password so it conflicts with where the cached information is being stored. 

I'll keep you posted.  Thanks for your help, we'll get this yet!  ;)

PM

Jeff1981
Level 4
Phil,

did you also check the Logon options?

Setting Logon options to "Automatic logon with current username and password" for "Trusted sites Zone"
Setting Logon options to "Automatic logon only in Intranet Zone" for "Intranet Zone"

I have a strong feeling that that's the basis for solving the problem.

Good luck!

Phil_McDougal
Level 5
Thanks for the insight Jeff.  I'm going to check out the user's settings and see where we stand.

Thanks again,
Phil.

Jeff_Stokes
Not applicable
We ran into this problem as well, except the users couldn't login even after putting in their user ID and password.  We hit kerberos limitations on users being a member of too many groups.  Not sure if that helps you or not.