Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Vault folder empty while same folder have items in AE

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

wierd issue?

I archive explorter I can see 17000 items under "sent items" folder.

same folder in Virtual Vault - empty - will not show mail headers at all.

any ideas how to approach this?

Sarah.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK so now for the really stupid question, in AE, when you see the \Sent Items, the items actually open right? i mean its not just got a bunch of stuff in the index that no longer exists on storage?

To be honest i think what you're going to have to do and this is going to be somewhat painful, is find an item that you know exists in the sent items folder, get the SSID and then reset the vault cache with full logging enabled and then once the MDC has completed, ensure that the \sent items is still blank and then do a search in the log files for that SSID and see if theres a corresponding error,

Only other thing i can think of is that maybe the items are too old and the policy is set to only keep the last 6 months worth of stuff? But even then that should only affect the DB files when it downloads full copies, the MDC should have a copy of each and every item.

Also it could be that its gone over the amount of space that you allocate to Virtual Vault, but again that MDC doesn't count towards the allocated space, only the DB files do.

You may want to try just a simple reset, or try creating it on another machine, or you can make sure you have the latest EV client available (like the 9 SP2 hotfix client or wait for EV9 SP3) as there are a boat load of VC/VV fixes there that might inconsquentially resolve this issue.

but really i think you're going to need logging from the very beginning and watch for errors in the logs and on the EV server

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6
Ok so I guess the first thing is, when you sync the cache, does the header cache fail or does it error out? Has it ever worked and it just started happening or is this a new vault cache and its always been this way and resetting it doesn't make a difference? What I would suggest is go to archive explorer and pick a few email that have easily identifiable subjects then make a copy of the mdc file somewhere like your desktop, rename it to a PST and then open it via Outlook If you then open that PST file can you see the items there? If you do an advanced search can you find the items somewhere other than the Sent Items folder??

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Synching cache goes great, no errors.

We are checking with the user if this issue accoured before or is it new.

I changed the MDC file to PST, but couldn't find any items there in the "Sent Items" folder as well.

searching didnt bring up anything as well.

It looks like it's not downloading the content of this folder at all to the clients cache.

JesusWept3
Level 6

OK so now for the really stupid question, in AE, when you see the \Sent Items, the items actually open right? i mean its not just got a bunch of stuff in the index that no longer exists on storage?

To be honest i think what you're going to have to do and this is going to be somewhat painful, is find an item that you know exists in the sent items folder, get the SSID and then reset the vault cache with full logging enabled and then once the MDC has completed, ensure that the \sent items is still blank and then do a search in the log files for that SSID and see if theres a corresponding error,

Only other thing i can think of is that maybe the items are too old and the policy is set to only keep the last 6 months worth of stuff? But even then that should only affect the DB files when it downloads full copies, the MDC should have a copy of each and every item.

Also it could be that its gone over the amount of space that you allocate to Virtual Vault, but again that MDC doesn't count towards the allocated space, only the DB files do.

You may want to try just a simple reset, or try creating it on another machine, or you can make sure you have the latest EV client available (like the 9 SP2 hotfix client or wait for EV9 SP3) as there are a boat load of VC/VV fixes there that might inconsquentially resolve this issue.

but really i think you're going to need logging from the very beginning and watch for errors in the logs and on the EV server