cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA migration to new hardware

Energy99
Level 3

Moving all file server data including placeholders to new server hardware.  Following TECH68672, our testing has found no issues with ingest, recalls, reporting etc... but I do notice a difference between the procedure were following and TECH73261.  The differences between the two is that the procedure were following makes no mention about maintaining the same IP Address as the orginal file server, we have maintained the file server name but have changed the IP Address, the second article mentions maintaining the same name and IP address.  Previous discussions with Symantec indicated the IP Address wasn't a concern but I'm curious why the difference between the two articles and is maintianing the same IP Address really required?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The two technotes are essentially the same, except one moves/copies shortcuts (i.e. only shortcuts the currently exist, maybe you've deleted some shortcuts?) and the other Creates shortcuts (it would recreate shortcuts that don't exist, so you may have 100 items in the current location, but the Create method may leave you with 150 items where 50 items were deleted previously)

The IP Address having to be the same i think was just that particular technicians method of wanting to keep everything as is, as the case that spawned this looked to be like a server that had gone bad, since they use the words "Faulty Server", they just wanted to make sure that it would go through OK

Really though either technique will work for you, just figure out with you want to move or recreate shortcuts, and also make sure you get the archiving points down pat as you could either end up with duplicate archives or nothing being archived at all etc.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The two technotes are essentially the same, except one moves/copies shortcuts (i.e. only shortcuts the currently exist, maybe you've deleted some shortcuts?) and the other Creates shortcuts (it would recreate shortcuts that don't exist, so you may have 100 items in the current location, but the Create method may leave you with 150 items where 50 items were deleted previously)

The IP Address having to be the same i think was just that particular technicians method of wanting to keep everything as is, as the case that spawned this looked to be like a server that had gone bad, since they use the words "Faulty Server", they just wanted to make sure that it would go through OK

Really though either technique will work for you, just figure out with you want to move or recreate shortcuts, and also make sure you get the archiving points down pat as you could either end up with duplicate archives or nothing being archived at all etc.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146