cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the registry value ClearUnreadNotification doing in detail?

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hello everyone,

does anyone have details about what this values is doing in detail?

I suspected that EV is simply setting PR_NON_RECEIPT_NOTIFICATION_REQUESTED and / or PR_READ_RECEIPT_REQUESTED property of an item in question to FALSE or removing the flags MSGFLAG_RN_PENDING and / or MSGFLAG_NRN_PENDING when it is creating a shortcut as a part of the archiving process (after the mentioned values have been set to 1 in the registry) but was not able to confirm this in my lab environment. However I also found the flag PR_REPLY_REQUESTED set to FALSE in some shortcuts. 

Can anyone shed some light onto this?

Thanks in advance

Marc

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ChrisLangevin
Level 6
Employee

It clears the flag MSGFLAG_NRN_PENDING in the PR_MESSAGE_FLAGS property. SetReadFlag(CLEAR_NRN_PENDING) is the MAPI call.

If the Registry value is set, the Archiving Task will clear this flag both when creating a shortcut and when deleting a shortcut.

--Chris

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Marc,

If I recall correct: If an archived item has been archived while being unread, and the sender requested a read-receipt, deleting the shortcut would send a 'read' notification to the sender.

Content

DWORD

0 - (Default) Send a notification to users who have deleted shortcuts to unread archived items.

1 - Do not send a notification to users who have deleted shortcuts to unread archived items.

Description

For manually deleted shortcuts to unread archived items: specifies whether to send notifications to users who have requested read receipts.

Regards. Gertjan

Marcde

Thanks Gertjan but I was aiming towards how this is technically achieved in the background.

This information is well known but there are no technical details about this. 

www.serviceware.de

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Ah. That I don't know.

Regards. Gertjan

ChrisLangevin
Level 6
Employee

It clears the flag MSGFLAG_NRN_PENDING in the PR_MESSAGE_FLAGS property. SetReadFlag(CLEAR_NRN_PENDING) is the MAPI call.

If the Registry value is set, the Archiving Task will clear this flag both when creating a shortcut and when deleting a shortcut.

--Chris

Marcde

Thanks Chris. This is exactly what I was looking for. 

But this means that after setting the value in the registry ALL shortcuts (archived prior to setting the value as well as after this) can be deleted without a message being sent, right?

Thats strange as we do have an environment where unread items that were archived after setting this value can be deleted without a message sent but it seems that older ones archived prior to cannot be deleted without a message being sent. 

Any idea in regards to this? 

Regards

Marc

www.serviceware.de

That's a puzzle. I don't see anything in the code that would cause what you're describing. It looks like that setting should control the behavior for all shortcuts.

I'd try a dtrace of ArchiveTask and look for the method name "ClearDeleteNotReadNotification" to see what's going on for items that suppress the NRN message and for items that don't suppress it. You should be able to find the following strings in the dtrace to help your investigation:

"Not-Read-And-Deleted Notification mark found on message"

"Not-Read-And-Deleted Notification mark cleared"

That trace plus some MFCMAPI property inspection will probably be enough to make plain what's going on.

--Chris

Marcde

Thanks for the hints. 

In your first reply you wrote that the ArchiveTask is responsible for removing the mentioned flag when creating / deleting a shortcut but how is this handled in case a user is deleting the shortcut manually and the flag has not been removed as part of the archiving as the registry value was not set? 

I just checked the PR_MESSAGE_FLAGS for some old and new items and can confirm that the flag MSGFLAG_NRN_PENDING is not (longer) present. 

Marc

www.serviceware.de

I haven't tested so this is just conjecture, but I don't think the ClearUnreadNotification Registry setting would have any effect in the situation you describe. In the case of archiving or shortcut deletion, the Archiving Task is the Exchange client application, and its behavior can be controlled by the Agents subkey in the Registry; in the case you describe, the user's Outlook session is the client application performing the deletion, and EV has no way of controlling its deletion behavior to deal with this flag. I would expect that in the following sequence of events:

1. Mail item is archived by EV, with NRN flag included
  2. Administrator sets the ClearUnreadNotification setting
  3. User manually deletes the item's shortcut using Outlook

then the NRN message would be sent normally. This is because no EV task under the influence of the ClearUnreadNotification setting has created or deleted the shortcut, so the original NRN flag should not have been touched.

Again, the above is my educated guess, but I have not tested it.

--Chris

Marcde

Thanks again for the details. I'll check some items and share my findings after this, also mark your first reply as solution as this already answered my initial question. Thanks for that.

Kind Regards

Marc

www.serviceware.de