cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will modifying the default Outlook MAPI properties of an archived mail item cause problems?

BruGuy
Level 6

Hello,

We've written an Outlook add-in which modifies some of the default Outlook MAPI properties, e.g., the Tracking Status, of sent messages in the Sent Items folder. It doesn't modify the text, subject or any attachments.

If it modifies a message which has been archived, is that likely to cause problems?

(EV appears to add it's own MAPI properties to archived messages but we're not intentionally modifying any of those.)

Thanks,

- Alan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Just look for the Message Class, this will be way easier. (IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.*)

/Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MichelZ
Level 6

Alan

I think there is nothing wrong to change those properties, as long as you leave the EV Properties intact.

However I'm not sure that this scenario is really supported, even if it works.

You might want to check this with Symantec Support.

/Michel

BruGuy
Level 6

Thanks Michel. A lot of commercial Outlook add-ins modify MAPI properties or even add their own - just like the EV add-in does - so I guess it would be reasonable to assume that they could all co-exist.

That said, it seems that an archived item only retains a subset of the MAPI properties, not including the one I need (just added a new post on that subject) so my question may be moot.

Otherwise, I presume can check if an item has been archived (and avoid it) by looking for EV's Archive Id MAPI property.

MichelZ
Level 6

Just look for the Message Class, this will be way easier. (IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.*)

/Michel