Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a SIS question

Bekir
Level 4
Partner

Hello all,

I have a quesiton which I hope I can describe.

Assume that I am doing SIS for both my regular e-mail archive store and journal store.
And assume that I've granted permission to the users to delete the archived items for both their shortcuts and original items from the archive itself.

When a client deletes an e-mail would we lose the journaled e-mail entities as well? Thus, resulting in losing all instances of the item?

Regards,
Bekir
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

When the client deleted an email it will only delete the SIS references for the User so the information still can be recovered from the journal mailbox

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

When the client deleted an email it will only delete the SIS references for the User so the information still can be recovered from the journal mailbox

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
You can refer the following , provide documentation that discusses all the great new features of Optimized SIS in EV 8.0.
http://www.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/Enterprise%20Vault%208.0%20-%20OSIS.pdf

Bekir
Level 4
Partner
Just to mak myself clear, I am using "Share within group" option for sharing level of items for all the vault stores I have.

So I'm guessing that I have 1 reference copy of all the emails both in regular archives and journal archive.

Thus, you're referring that even a user deletes an e-mail, and the action is to delete both shortcut and archive, it will still be recoverable from the journal archive?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Yes because the item is being held by both mailbox and journal. When you delete from the mailbox only the SIS reference for that mailbox is removed from the SIS database. The Journal link to the item is still valid so the actual email remains in the archive

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
The way it works is say that i have a message archived with a 1mb PDF file and it gets journaled also, it'd look something like this for the journal E:\Vault Stores\Journal Vault\Ptn1\2010\09-01\0\A\0ABCDEFG.DVS E:\Vault Stores\Journal Vault\Ptn1\2010\09-01\0\A\0ABCDEFG.DVSSP E:\Vault Stores\Journal Vault\Ptn1\2010\09-01\0\A\0ABCDEFG.DVSCC and something like this for the User archive E:\Vault Stores\Users Vault\Ptn1\2010\09-01\E\0\E01234567.DVS The DVS is the user information and the actual email The DVSSP is the Sharable Part, in this case it is the PDF file that was sent The DVSCC s the converted content of te sharable part, this is the PDF rendered in a text or html format Notice we have 1 x DVSSP, 1 x DVSCC and 2 x DVS one DVS for the journal copy and one DVs for the users archived copy and they both link to the DVSSP and DVSCC If the user then goes ahead and deletes his copy, you would then just have the journals DVS left, and his reference would be removed from a database, and if the journal was then to delete it, the DVSSP and DVSCC would also be deleted
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Bekir
Level 4
Partner

Thanks for all the extensive and detailed answers.

The way your answers are written just makes me think that I couldn't express myself :))

Ok, just let me put it this way:
There is Vault Store Group
And under that there is a User Archive Vault and a Journal Archive Vault.

Thus:

--- > Vault Store Group
  • User Archive Vault
  • Journal Archive Vault

When I modify the properties of the "Vault Store Group" and change the Sharing level to "Within the Group", does all the things you said above stand true? That is are there two copies in each vault and only user copy is deleted?

Sorry for going over and over again...

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

When the item is first archived (journal) it is copied into the vault store and a reference is made in the fingerprint database.  When it subsequently archived from 1 or more users mailbox an additional reference is made in the fingerprint db, but it is not copied into the store (some smaller items do not come under OSIS and thus are copied).  When a user "deletes" their "copy" they are actually only deleting their reference point (and indexes) for that item.  The item itself is not deleted until the last reference point is deleted.

Bekir
Level 4
Partner

thank you all. I appreciate it...