cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

archcab extention files, can they be removed?

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello all,

On a mailbox archiving server with little space left, I noticed a lot of files with extention archcab. We run collections, and migration. Files are collected after 8 weeks to cab files, which are moved to 2nd line storage after 1 week. According to a doc I found (refrering ev6, but probably valid) the archcab files are obsolete files referencing the migrated cab-files. Also, archcab files are indications of mails being retrieved from 2nd line storage.

Can I safely remove the archcab files? Should I remove the ones older than a week? 8 weeks, 9 weeks?

Anyone an idea? I have a too short timeframe to get additional storage added.

Thanks.

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

beta_dodo
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

Yes .archcab files are created when we recall a cab file from secondary storage.  that way any more requests for data in that cab come form disk.  They should be getting deleted after 1 week as far as I know but I could be wrong.

So yes you can delete them they are just a cached copy of what's of secondary storage.  What's a little concerning is why they are not getting deleted at all. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I'd have them backed up and then deleted.

Deletion should be safe.

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

beta_dodo
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

Yes .archcab files are created when we recall a cab file from secondary storage.  that way any more requests for data in that cab come form disk.  They should be getting deleted after 1 week as far as I know but I could be wrong.

So yes you can delete them they are just a cached copy of what's of secondary storage.  What's a little concerning is why they are not getting deleted at all. 

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Answer from Support:

With regard to this question, you can delete the ARCHCAB files safely. These are normally deleted but can sometimes be stopped by not having a file handle released, or other reasons.

These files are created when retrieving CAB files from Tape storage.

Thanks also to Beta-Dodo.

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan