cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deleting archives gives trouble

Jacqy-x
Level 3

Hi there,

When users leave our company, we delete their archives.

Since i've had a lot of them leaving lately, I deleted over 50 today.

This caused a lot of communications with the SQl-server and eventually, our Fileserver couldn't get through so it crashed.

Not so pretty.

Anyone ever had this problem? is this perhaps to be worked around by upgrading something?

To work around: does anyoone know about a batch command to delete archives?

Hope to hear from anyoone.

Jacqueline

5 REPLIES 5

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi there

Could you explain the crash further?

What Data resides on the Fileserver?

What type of fileserver is it? (e.g. EMC Celerra, NetApp, Windows...)

I believe there is a delete function in the API, but the API has to be licensed... :(

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Jacqy-x
Level 3

He Michel,

Fileserver is a vmware server; it was just waiting for response from the Ev-server, which was busy communicating with the SQL-server, which was busy deleting all the archives.

Because of the non-responsiveness of the ev-server, the file server crashed.

When this happened, we received Symantec support and they deleted the entries in the db's for us, to stop the deletion process.

So, we're not deleting archives anymore during the day. According to the Symantec Engineer this does take a lot of processing, although there's nowhere a warning about it to be found.

My only remaining question is: is this command (Delete archive foldername) available in batch?

Thanks!

Jacqy

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

No, deleting archive is not available as a batch command.

It is available as an API command, which has to be licensed, and you would have to develop a small tool which uses this API.

I hope to see such features in the new EV PowerShell of Version 8... ;)

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

DMP
Level 3

I had the same problem and work with an SE for more than 10 months on this specific issue. We also delete a lot of user Vaults and what would happen it would bring SQL down and EV would also become non responsive. The fix we end up doing was to add a new index key to the SaveSet table, if you have support with symantec I recommend to contact them.

Its working very well now we no longer crash EV or SQL.

Jacqy-x
Level 3

Thanks DMP, We'll get into that, looks like a good idea.

Jacqy