cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dcom VS http EV6 Client

Lu_K
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
User Extension & Self-Install User Extension?
What's the difference between both plug-in Outlook Extension?
4 REPLIES 4

Matthew_Edwards
Level 4
In theory the self-installing user extension allows for easier deployment because the user can download and install it for themselves. In practice this isn't a great idea because the IT administrators cannot tell who has got it from who hasn't and what versions are out there etc (and the users are stopped dead from installing it by restrictive GPOs etc).

The main difference between the two is that the self-installing or 'lite' client is completely HTTP and does not rely on DCOM. This may suit certain environments better than others. A drawback (or benefit - depending on how you like to see it) is that EV folder properties are not visible to the users in Outlook using the lite client.

Lu_K
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Thank you Matthew.
Is "Enterprise Vault Offline Vault Store" and "PST Migrator Add-on" compatible with both version of clients software?

Do EV6 Policy works on both version of client about manage and customize desktop settings?

Matthew_Edwards
Level 4
Good Question.

In short, the self-installer client is an ActiveX control, so it doesn't actually install any plugins to Outlook itself. The result of this is that Offline Vaults and PST user initiated import (push) don't work to the best of my knowledge (in my experience I haven't found a great number of clients using this since ActiveX is normally blocked anyway).

So this leads on to a 'no' for the next question as well I'm afraid :(

IMHO, push out the latest client via GPO, SMS or altris etc. You can do this ahead of enabling mailboxes for archiving as the user extension remains dormant until that time.

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I've got to agree here. IMHO always use the full client and push it out via SMS or other desktop control toolsets. The full client is more stable then the lite client, and I've seen many less problems with it in the field.

micah