cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to delete an item from the journal archive

Skee_Leonard
Level 3
I have a request to find and remove a particular email from the journal archive. I cannot figure how to get to the actual item in the Journal. I can find the email in question no problem and I can turn on/off the ability to delete items without problem. Help!

skee
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

W_Wintermute
Level 4
Hello,

Hopefully I'm understanding the question, but if you just want to delete an item from the journal archive, you could perform a search for it from: http://servername/enterprisevault/search.asp

Once you find the item, click the check mark beside it and select "Delete from Vault"

If it doesn't delete correctly, then it may be that you are not allowing deletes through Site Settings or perhaps the Retention Category is set to Retain items forever or Prevent deletion of archived items in this category.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Skee_Leonard
Level 3
Interesting, no one else has run into this type of request before? I have also logged a support ticket, so i'll be sure to post the 'official' answer to this question.

W_Wintermute
Level 4
Hello,

Hopefully I'm understanding the question, but if you just want to delete an item from the journal archive, you could perform a search for it from: http://servername/enterprisevault/search.asp

Once you find the item, click the check mark beside it and select "Delete from Vault"

If it doesn't delete correctly, then it may be that you are not allowing deletes through Site Settings or perhaps the Retention Category is set to Retain items forever or Prevent deletion of archived items in this category.

Skee_Leonard
Level 3
That's helpful, because we have infinite retention settings for our site. If i were to change the retention settings to say 5 years, would I still be able to delete it? Doesn't seem like I would, based on your information.

I guess I would need some kind of master over ride which doesn't exist within EV.

SymcMarj
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
Are you using a centera? If not then you can delete items regardless of their retention. Just make sure that you have selected "Users Can Delete" from the site settings.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Look on the properties of the retention cat.

Do you see the check box for allow deletions under the Settings section?

That box will need cleared and probably restart the Storage service.

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Just a thought....
If you're using journaling from a discovery or compliance reason, deleting an entry from the journal archive could be considered bad form by the courts (if it's discovered that you did it). Just noting what I've seen moving through the cases recently.
Also, definately stay away from the infinite retention categories...remember, the disks that these things are on won't be around forever, so why keep'm that way. Find a realistic timeframe to dump these records so they can't be used against you, and save you on storage costs.

micah

Skee_Leonard
Level 3
Micah - thanks for the heads up on the legal issues and I advised everyone, including attorneys, of the ramifications.
In the end I had all the options mentioned configured correctly, but to turn it on, I needed to run a synchronization to turn on the delete options.