cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

http only client extensions

TheCrow
Level 4

hi all

we are having some strange issues with the client extensions for both outlook 2007 and 2010 when using http.

the extensions install but

• the toolbar doesnt show in outlook
  • the registry keys are empty
  • program files is empty
  • programs and features does not show the extensions as installed

try to reinstall, the msi says they are already installed

weirdly viewing programs and features through a 3rd party app, in this case piriforms ccleaner i can see the extensions but am unable to remove them.

evidence below :)

im using the extensions supplied with ev 9.

this is annoying because so far im unable to reinstall the extensions without 1st rebuilding the pc!

can anyone suggest how or why this is happening?

thanks

ccleaner

programs and features

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Regarding :

Uninstall requires Outlook to be installed as well.

>> I just run through that here in house.  I have Office 2007 RTM installed with the 8 SP 5 HTTP client extensions installed.  I then uninstalled Office, rebooted at the end (as prompted by Office) and then attempted to uninstall the HTTP client afterwards.  It uninstalled fine..  I have no entry in Add/Remove programs, and the folders have gone from C:\Program Files.  If you're not seeing that, then we'd have to explorer the MSIEXEC logging (see below)

Regarding :

can you tell me what to delete so when the msi runs it doesnt incorrectly assume extensions are installed when they arent rendering the machine unuseable from an EV point of view.

>> It's not entirely that simple.  Search on the forums for a blog post which talks about MSIEXEC logging, and generate an MSI log file.  It may then be possible to review that, and give you the package GUID for forcing an uninstall.

Regarding :

have you managed to duplicate the scenario above? office 2007 install extension 8 latest, upgrade to 2010. is the reference in programs and features visible

>> I took a working Outlook 2007 RTM system with the 8 SP 5 HTTP client extensions installed.  I then installed Office 2010 (as an upgrade) and rebooted at the end (as prompted by Office).  The 8 SP 5 extensions are listed in Add/Remove programs.  Obviously when I then launch Outlook I get a dialog informing me that the extensions are not compatible.

Before :

After:

Extensions need upgrading:

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

TheCrow
Level 4

echo

JosephRodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you tried the EV 9.0sp2 client?  How about right-clicking the MSI and selecting uninstall?

Sortid
Level 6

It's not something simple like 64 bit OS so you are looking in the wrong Program Files (x86) and Reg key (wow64)?

TheCrow
Level 4

uninstalling doesnt work. it says that the extensions are incompatible even though i have only installed the http-only ones for use with outlook 2010.

checked both nodes and neither has any reference to EVclient

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So, I'm confused.

Does uninstalling, uninstall the extensions or not?

When you have a cleaned system, and you install.. use MSI logging, and capture the output.  Chances are that there is some reference to DCOM type files, and that's why it's saying it's incompatible.  Another option is to take a screenshot of the directory (with the files in it) following the installation.

TheCrow
Level 4

no

i had to remove office 2010 to get it to uninstall itself.

it was almost like it was trying to install again as after removing office 2010 it said "outlook 2003 sp2 minimum must be installed before installing this program" so i had to install 2007 to remove the damn things

is there a conflict say if http only extensions for outllok 2007 are installed

office 2010 is then installed without removing old extensions and then trying to install new 2010 extensions does not work properly.

have you seen this before?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I know that the INSTALLATION won't proceed if you don't have Outlook installed (at the minimum level given in the dialog box).  I know because I tried it for an unrelated issue yesterday... base install of XP SP 2, and I just tried to install the Outlook Addin, and it fails.

I'm not sure if the same processing/dialog/logic is used if you run the UNINSTALLATION after uninstalling Office.

Let me see if I have you correct.

Working Office 2007 SP x

Outlook Addin HTTP version?

Then you upgrade Office to Office 2010

That *should* continue to work, depending on the version of the Outlook Addin.  If you have 9.0.1 or higher should work, I think.  If not, and you have say 9 base extensions, after the upgrade to Office 2010 you should be able to run the 9.0.1 (or 9.0.2) Client extensions and upgrade no problem.

TheCrow
Level 4

hi rob

yes thats right regarding my setup

uninstall requires outlook to be installed as well

can you tell me what to delete so when the msi runs it doesnt incorrectly assume extensions are installed when they arent rendering the machine unuseable from an EV point of view.

have you managed to duplicate the scenario above? office 2007 install extension 8 latest, upgrade to 2010. is the reference in programs and features visible

thanks

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Regarding :

Uninstall requires Outlook to be installed as well.

>> I just run through that here in house.  I have Office 2007 RTM installed with the 8 SP 5 HTTP client extensions installed.  I then uninstalled Office, rebooted at the end (as prompted by Office) and then attempted to uninstall the HTTP client afterwards.  It uninstalled fine..  I have no entry in Add/Remove programs, and the folders have gone from C:\Program Files.  If you're not seeing that, then we'd have to explorer the MSIEXEC logging (see below)

Regarding :

>> It's not entirely that simple.  Search on the forums for a blog post which talks about MSIEXEC logging, and generate an MSI log file.  It may then be possible to review that, and give you the package GUID for forcing an uninstall.

Regarding :

>> I took a working Outlook 2007 RTM system with the 8 SP 5 HTTP client extensions installed.  I then installed Office 2010 (as an upgrade) and rebooted at the end (as prompted by Office).  The 8 SP 5 extensions are listed in Add/Remove programs.  Obviously when I then launch Outlook I get a dialog informing me that the extensions are not compatible.

Before :

After:

Extensions need upgrading:

TheCrow
Level 4

thanks rob and sorry for the late reply

im thinking it may be something to do with the package our automation team have put together causing some conflict along the way.