cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move archive between ev site options

EVMan
Level 4

Hi

We have a EV8 site (targetting exchange 2003 where all our mailboxes are). We also have a new EV9 site which targets exchange 2010 with no mailboxes in. We want to move to this clean ev9/ex2010 environment.

Steps to migrate to this i've tried which work are :-

Exporting users archives back into the mailbox, mailbox move to ex2010 then ev9 archives. This works fine (we had to set these users on an initial archive all policy due to the creation date of mail items being recent / doesn't retain this for the archive restore). This works but is quite involved to move 2500 users.

I'm looking at the move archive facility now. I understand this isn't recommended for bulk migrations but this may be less time consuming. If i move someones archive from evsite1 (ev8) to evsite2 (ev9) then the shortcuts will stay in the mailbox? Is there any way to enable a policy in ev8 to remove all shortcuts from the mailbox (prior to the move) move archive, then let ev9 recreate the shortcuts in the mailbox once the archive has moved to the ev9 site?

thanks

James

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello James,

When following the procedure as outlined below, there is no need to remove shortcuts, as they will be 'relinked'...

Moving an inactive archive to an active archive

Move Archive lets you move inactive archives from the source Enterprise Vault site, to active archives in another site. This is useful when you want to move an individual user’s mailbox to a different Domino or Exchange mail server in another Enterprise Vault site.

In this case, you must disable archiving for the user in the source site, then move the mailbox and enable it for archiving in the destination. When you have done this, you can use Move Archive to move the associated archive to the destination site.

This section describes the actions you must complete to move a user’s mailbox, and the subsequent steps that are required to move the archive.

To move the user’s mailbox:

■Disable archiving on the user’s mailbox in the source site.

■Move the user’s mailbox from the source mail server to the mail server in the destination site.

■Provision the user’s mailbox on the destination Enterprise Vault server.

■Enable the user for archiving in the destination site.

When you have moved the user’s mailbox and enabled it for archiving in the destination site, you can move the inactive source archive. In this case, the move operation includes the following steps:

■Move Archive closes the source archive. However, the source archive is still accessible in read-only mode.

■Move Archive renames the source archive. It appends the archive’s creation date, and the date of the move operation to the archive’s name.

■Move Archive copies the data from the source archive to the destination.

■The mailbox archiving task on the destination server points all the shortcuts in the user’s mailbox to the content in the new archive in the destination site. Move Archive completes this step even if you do not use mailbox shortcuts in your environment.

■Move Archive waits for the destination vault store to be backed up, except when the source vault store is configured to remove safety copies immediately after archiving.

■Move Archive verifies that all the data is present in the destination archive.

The move operation is now complete and you may delete the source archive.

Hope this helps

Regards. Gertjan

EVMan
Level 4

Hi

Many thanks for this, this will save so much time. We are testing it now (i'm sure it works!) but after moving the mailbox to ex2010 and enabling it in ev9 (and setting up a policy for this user), we cannot move the archive from old ev8 site to new (using move archive) we get this message :-

You cannot add the following archive because it is associated with an archiving enabled mailbox.
You cannot move active archives to another site.
Disable archiving for the associated mailbox and try again.
• Turpin, James

However i have disabled archiving for this user, synchroonised, run provisioning, restarted services etc.

Any ideas?

thanks

James

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello James,

Although not tried irl, i would doublecheck:

1 - In source site, disable user for archiving.

2 - move mailbox from source to target

3 - in target, run provisioning, enable user for archiving

4 - in target, verify the user has an archive! (do a manual archive if needed)

5 - in source, do not run provisioning/sync/ etc

6 - in source, try to move the original archive again to the source.

7 - if it fails again, call support ;)

Good luck.

GJ

Regards. Gertjan