cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

outlook web access - slow performance opening archived item

JB22
Level 5

Hello,

When we open an archived item through outlook web access it takes a while when we see the content of the mail. Not archived items open fine.

Has anyone any ideas what I can do to get a better performance?

Thanks,

JB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JB22
Level 5

Thanks for the help.

We have now version 7.5 SP2.

I will see to upgrade to SP3.

Thanks for the response.

JB

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

hi,

That's something we improved quite recently.  I cannot be sure if it is v7.5 sp2 or v7.5 sp3 (I think the latter) so an upgrade to that should resolve it.

Mike

Steve_C_Blair
Level 4
Employee

The Dodo is correct -- we continue to improve OWA performance wherever possible in EV. You must also remember there are a number of things that are outside EV's control that can affect your end-users' OWA experience.

Things like IIS server load, network load, size of item, AD/GC positioning do have a positive (or negative) impact as do WAN accelerators, Firewalls, and combinations of all of the above. In addition, the first archived retrieval is more "expensive" as it has to go through all the authentication steps, whereas subsequent connections don't (only if the same OWA session is used / still in existance) on the end-users' browser.

Recently I polled some EV customers across Asia-Pacific and found uniform response times pretty much the same for the first item, then radicaly better for additional items. This was consistent for 1K, 10K, 100K and 1M emails with attachements with AND without archiving, so I believe what we gathered is pretty spot on albeit it not as scientific as our published Performance Guide.

Hopefully in a future version of the Performance Guide we can add OWA observations....

JB22
Level 5

Thanks for the help.

We have now version 7.5 SP2.

I will see to upgrade to SP3.

Thanks for the response.

JB

Susanna
Level 3
I'm also planning to apply SP3 soon to resove slow performance opening archived items issue. Anything I need to pay special attention when I patch the server?

RemSteale
Level 3

SP3 is still slow on OWA, it takes up to 30 seconds to open an archived mail, regardless of its size. Subsequent archived items take around 20 seconds.

Currently on Exchange 2003 sp2, security patched to date, front end/back end architecture and using load balanced ISA 2004 for publishing OWA and rpc over https.

I get the same speeds when opening OWA on the localhost (exchange server holding the mailbox being used)

I did have some success when we were running version 6 sp4 before the upgrade when things began to slow down, by running the webapp.vbs script and recreating the default directory but this does not have any effect now.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Also, why on earth does EV seem to put the archived item in the deleted items first (according to the item URL, anyway)??

Message Edited by RemSteale on 09-30-2008 02:08 PM