cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

un-archivable items in EV 8.0

nameless_girl
Level 3
I am attempting to do a mass import of my users' PST files and they are all failing miserably.  I have had maybe 2 out of 15 PST's actually import successfully.  I have tried using the wizard as well as the client-driven migration, and both fail.  is there ANY way to get around these kinds of issues?  Otherwise, this is going to take me literally forever to manually import all of my users PST files.  I have over 400 users and an average of probably 4 PST's per user.    If I dig through the trace file(s), there are literally hundreds of messages that are failing -- so going through and picking out the 'bad' items is not feasible.

Has anybody else run in to these kinds of problems?  Any advice would be appreciated!  Oh, we are using EVault 8.0 sp3.
8 REPLIES 8

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

do you have any examples of failures or error messages and how you are doing the PST imports? (i.e. through the VAC/Wizard, client side migration, server migration) etc and are they actual failures or are they items not being archived because of policy?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So, when importing the PST what message classes have you got selected?
What do you specify as your shortcut content?
Do the PSTs contain Signed Messages?
Can you give an example of a failure, it should be in the migration report, and then in the event log.
Working for cloudficient.com

nameless_girl
Level 3
This is the error message I get when attempting to import any "problem" PST file.  The following items are selected for archving in my PST migration policy:

IPM.Appointment
IPM.Contact
IPM.Document
IPM.Note
IPM.Post

PST Migration Report File
Start date & time:    6/21/2010    11:36:24 AM

Migration Settings:
------------------------------
=> Ignore the 'Deleted items' folder
=> Delete migrated items and create shortcuts in associated mailboxes
=> The language of the PSTs is Western European (1252)
=> Hide each PST file after all items are migrated
=> Set each PST to be Read-only after all items are migrated
=> Do not archive calendar items that have not expired
=> Folder structures will remain separate
=> Folder 'Imported Personal Folders' under the mailbox root folder corresponds to the root folder of the PST

Report file: G:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\Reports\PSTMig_20100621113624.txt

PSTs to be migrated to archives:
------------------------------------------------------
PST: \\server\users$\UserName\Exchange\2006.Archive.pst   -->  Archive: UserName;   Mailbox: UserName;   Retention Category: Executive Management

End time: 11:36:48 AM
Report file: G:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\Reports\PSTMig_20100621113624.txt

Some of the PSTs contained items that were not eligible for archive.
These items have been moved to the associated mailboxes.
See the Help for further information.

PSTs that contained ineligible items:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PST: \\server\users$\user\Exchange\2006.Archive.pst  -->  Archive: UserName;   Mailbox: UserName

PSTs that failed to be migrated:
-------------------------------------------------
PST: \\server\users$\UserName\Exchange\2006.Archive.pst  -->  Archive: UserName;   Mailbox: UserName (Unspecified error. Please check the event log  )
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It's the "unspecified error" that kills me.  It's not that the item is ineligible, whatever item that is tripping up this process completely KILLS the import process.  If the wizard could just skip the item, that would better than just blowing up.  According to Symantec KB #320832, it's because the PST contains corrupt items.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
hmm, that's interesting.  I would suggest that you keep that PST file as an example, and open a Support case.  We have done a fair amount of work in this area to try and improve our ability to "carry on" when we encounter a "problem" item of whatever kind.

nameless_girl
Level 3

I already did, and the support engineer basically told me "sorry, we can't help you."   Very frustrating.   I posted here hoping somebody would have some kind of workaround or something to get through this.

nameless_girl
Level 3

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Please let me know (via the Private Message I sent you) whether you want to progress this.  "Sorry we can't help you", is the wrong answer in this situation...  We should if at all possible, continue to process the rest of the PST.  If we can't do that, we should at least be able to explain why.

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

Hi nameless_girl,

there should be a eventlog message on the ev server which has additional Error-Data.
Could you pelase post?

Regards,
Peter