cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton Internet Security forum - where is it?

drupert
Not applicable
Brief summary - Purchased a new laptop (OS is Vista) with a trial edition of Norton Internet Security 2009 installed.  Not going well.  Keep getting the "Unable to connect to the Norton LiveUpdate Server" message when trying to run LiveUpdate.  Have taken all of the steps suggested on the support site.  Tried to chat, but after 20 iterations of "allow this to connect" and "run this or save" I figured I'd just leave an email.
You folks at Symantec really don't want to hear from your customers, do you?  There is no place I could find where I could leave a message for support, or even anyone else at Symantec (from their home page).  Every place I click takes me to a worthless, separate web page.
Maybe someone actually reads these forums, but I doubt it.  In any event, my advice to anyone with any trial Symantec product is don't buy it - they just don't care.
3 REPLIES 3

Tejas_Shah
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Malicious Code has become increasingly complex and infections involve more system elements than ever before. No Anti Virus system can prevent the infection to affect the computer prior to its installation. It looks like, your system has become infected, the tools listed below should aid you in repairing the damage.

If you are on a network or have a full-time connection to the Internet, such as a DSL or cable modem, disconnect the computer from the network and Internet. Disable or password-protect file sharing, or set the shared files to Read Only, before reconnecting the computers to the network or to the Internet. Because this worm spreads by using shared folders on networked computers, to ensure that the worm does not reinfect the computer after it has been removed, it's suggested to have sharing with Read Only access or by using password protection.

It looks like your systems is infected  by W32.Downadup or ot's varient.

W32.Downadup.C may block access to Symantec Web sites and network addresses. I'm sure www.microsoft.com is also not working in your machine.

Get the Removal tool from

http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/global/removal_tool/threat_writeups/FixDwndp.exe.

More information about how to remove it.

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2009-011316-0247-99

All the best.

Tejas

jgreen
Not applicable
Employee Accredited
You can find the Norton Internet Security forum here

Tejas_Shah
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Symantec Connect is generally accessed by the business users and NIS 2009 falles in Home user segments. So you may not find people with active interest in NIS here.

However, since you have already opened the forum, let's continue.

Tejas