cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting appliance and VPLEX

sercerreti
Level 2

Does anyone have experience in connecting a Symantec appliance N5220 to EMC2 Vplex for backup of VM via Fibre channel transport?

5 REPLIES 5

Zilf
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Has there been a solution on that ? I have the same problem with the following configuration : 

MSsql in VM

DB is on two VNX5500 with vplex 

VSS provider for EMC is installed, hostagent, navicli are installed on the VM

the 4 SP have their credentials set on NBU. 

objective is to use the snapshot client functionnality for backup of the DB.

There is nothing on the compatibility guide about VNX and snapshot...

regards,

WH

symantec040
Level 4

@Sercerreti, @Zilf - did you guys speak to Symc sales rep / Symc support to get a confirmation? 

@Sercerreti - it looks more like a what if question.

@Zilf - I believe you have done the initial setup as part of testing procedures. So did you attempt a backup? with policy type VMware, and appliance 5220 2.5 onwards acts as a backup host. Did you encounter any error's?

Zilf
Level 3
Partner Accredited

backup won't work. It seems impossible to do the snapshot directly from the client (I've used the diskshadow utility and got an error).

We have contacted EMC and EMC doesn't support its own vss provider with vplex. 

So for now, we don't have any ways to efficiently back up the DB (around 3To big). 

Otherwise, the DB are on rdm disks so no vmware backup host. 

regards,

WH

symantec040
Level 4

In the master server host properties - Under client settings, add the client there (incase if its not present earlier) and I am sure you have VSS selected.

Here, are you able to do snapshot's local to the client ? share the output of "vssadmin list writers"

Please share what EMC said in detail on "We have contacted EMC and EMC doesn't support its own vss provider with vplex. "

Zilf
Level 3
Partner Accredited

normal backup are functionnal, I can even do a vss snapshot without using the vss provider, so there is no problem there.

And what EMC said was that the vss provider wasn't working with vplex and VMware and so that our configuration was not supported for its use. I know, not quite the same but same result. 

regards,

WH