cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect and discover TS3310 to Netbackup Appliance 5240

dawitayele
Level 4

Hello,

I have Netbackup Appliance 5240 and I wanted to connect IBM TS3310 to it so that I will be able to backup to Tape, the NetBackup is currently connected to LAN via Fiber, do I need to connect to SAN? or I can be able to discover the TS3310  with IP? 

Please assist me on the steps and connectivity to TS3310.

Thank You 

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@dawitayele 

The HCL is the place to start: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000115690

Under Tape Libraries - Vendor Compatibility -> IBM 
look for TS3310.

You will see that Fibre Channel (SAN) is supported with NBU Appliances.
There is no IP control interface available on this tape library. 

Other interfaces that are supported (depending on what you purchase from IBM) are SAS and SCSI.
For SAS connectivity, you need a SAS tape-out HBA on the Appliance. 

Marianne
Level 6

Once the tape library and tape drives have been zoned to the Appliance (assuming that you have FC connectivity), you can read these sections in Veritas NetBackup™ Appliance Administrator's Guide :

About appliance supported tape devices
Adding external robots to the NetBackup appliance

Hi @Marianne 

Thank You for your response,

One question: Do I need to connect the Netbackup Appliance to SAN switch? before doing the Zone?

and which port should I use to connect to SAN Switch?

Marianne
Level 6

@dawitayele 

Not sure if you have read through the NBU and IBM documentation? 

As per the Appliance Admin Guide: (you may want to click on the pdf icon to download the manual)

To add an external robot to the appliance

1. Set any physical address switches to the appropriate setting as described in the instructions from the vendor.
  2. Connect the robot to the HBA card as described in the instructions from the vendor.

So, consult the IBM installation docs for your tape library or ask your IBM supplier for assistance.

The port(s) on the Appliance that you use for library/tape connection depends on the Appliance model that you purchased.
The different models and I/O options can be seen in Veritas NetBackup™ 5240 Appliance Product Description

Any of the FC Initiator ports can be used for tape-out operations (and VMware Datastores).

If you are still unsure, please reach out to the Veritas reseller that supplied the Appliance.