cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.7.2 Question

tlam_panw
Level 2

Hi All,

I have a question regarding Netbackup 7.7.2: What is the best approach to backing up a Microsoft SQL Cluster DB?

Currently, I have configured the backup policy to use the Applications aware backup which does the log truncate after a backup. However, one node received a status 6 and the other received status 0. 

The status 6 error code is probably because that node isn't the active node in the cluster. 

Can I still be able to use Applications aware backup method if I reconfigure the policy to backup the cluster virtual name or do I have to configure the backup to use the script to backup MSSQL DB via the cluster VIP which do away the Applications aware feature.

Thanks,

Thomas

4 REPLIES 4

Systems_Team
Level 6
   VIP   

Hi Thomas,

I use the VMware SQL application aware backup for my environment.  I don't have clustered SQL servers in my case, but I've had a look through the doco for you and I think clustered DB's using the VMware SQL policy is not supported.

If you look through the SCL for Database Agents, there is nothing there that stands out.  However if you read the NetBackup for Microsoft SQL Administrators Guide for 7.7.2 (Section 7 - Protecting SQL Server data with VMware backups->About protecting SQL Server data with VMware backups), at the bottom of page 99 (last bullet point under heading "Limitations of using a VMware policy to protect SQL server") it says:

• SQL Servers cannot be clustered

I think this is your issue.  It would be nice if that was detailed in more places, and more prominently.  I see in 7.7.2 you can now use SQL Intelligent Policies to backup clustered MS_SQL servers.  Not quite the same thing, as a one pass VMware backup that backs up everything including you databases, but maybe an option you can look at.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Herewith URL for NBU for SQL manual:

NetBackup 7.7.2 for Microsoft SQL Server Administrator's Guide

PS: 
Maybe NetBackup forum is the appropriate place for this post as this is not directly related to NBU Appliance?

Thanks Steve - I did some searching around this and came up nothing. I just wasn't sure if I can backup virtual host only which have the active database.

Alternative is to use the other SQL backup.

Thomas

Thanks Marianne - that doc helps.

Thomas