cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power8 - netbackup integration

AndresV
Level 6
Partner    VIP   
Hi Guys, Im taking oracle backups but jobs are taking too long, these oracle instances are on AIX 7.1 and are running on IBM Power 8. I need to know if there is a way to zone this hardware with 5230 appliance in orden to take SAN backups, because POWER 8 has HBA cards. How the zoning would go??
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you tried to read through the documentation that I have mentioned in my previous post?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6

Which model 5230? How many hba's?

Only the models with 8 x FC hba's can be used as Fibre Transport media server.

This configuration is covered in Appliance Admin Guide (look for Fibre Transport Configuration), Appliance Capacity Planning and Performance Tuning Guide (look for SAN Fiber Channel setup) and NetBackup SAN Client and Fibre Transport Guide.
Links to manuals in my signature.

Similar forum post: SAN client with 5230 appliance 

AndresV
Level 6
Partner    VIP   

Hi Marianne,

Sorry for delays...

Every 5230 Appliance have 8 slots ( slot2, slot4, slot5 and slot 6)  

AIXs are running on POWER8 but the disks are actually on a Storage, both power 8 and storage have HBAs so my questions are:

1. Should I configure every AIX client as SAN client?

2. Oracle backups should run over SAN, restorations runs over SAN as well?

Could you give some Ideas??

PatS729
Level 5

Hi,

AIX Client can be a SAN Client and backup/restores can work on SAN.

Marianne
Level 6

Have you tried to read through the documentation that I have mentioned in my previous post?

AndresV
Level 6
Partner    VIP   

Thanks Guys,

I found every AIX server has FC virtual adapter so I had to zone this adapter and the 5230 appliance and its working great

psvines
Level 3

Does your zoning use the same virtual adapter for both disk and tape (appliance) traffic? Have you noticed any throughput issues?

Thanks.

AndresV
Level 6
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

No, every LPAR has 4 hba so I use 2 for disk-based SAN backups (to appliance) and 2 for tapes.