cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preparing for re-image

bcsupport
Level 4

We have a 5240 appliance that Veritas Support was unable to get the SDCS intrusion policy working(we were not having to disable SDSS policy to elevate).  Currently it is running 9.1.0.1 MR4.  What exactly will I need to make sure we have so that we can bring everything back after the re-image? aka copy of catalog, Puredisk dedup catalog etc.

I do not want to get into a position where we were able to get everything back.  Also, would we be able to re-image to straight to version 10 or would we have to start back at 9.1.0.1 mr4 and then upgrade from there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

meuhassan
Level 4

Here are the things that you need to make sure you have before re-imaging the 5240 appliance:

• A copy of the catalog. The catalog is a database that stores information about all of the backups that have been taken on the appliance. You can export the catalog using the NetBackup Administration Console.
  • A copy of the PureDisk dedup catalog. The PureDisk dedup catalog is a database that stores information about all of the deduplicated data on the appliance. You can export the PureDisk dedup catalog using the NetBackup Management Console.
  • The appliance's configuration files. The appliance's configuration files contain information about the appliance's settings, such as the IP address, the hostname, and the network settings. You can download the appliance's configuration files from the appliance's web interface.

Once you have these files, you can re-image the appliance. You can re-image the appliance to version 10 directly. You do not need to start back at version 9.1.0.1 MR4 and then upgrade from there.

Here are the steps on how to re-image the appliance:

1. Download the re-image image from the Veritas website.
  2. Copy the re-image image to a USB drive or to a network share.
  3. Boot the appliance from the re-image image.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the re-imaging process.

Once the re-imaging process is complete, you will need to restore the catalog, the PureDisk dedup catalog, and the appliance's configuration files. You can restore these files using the NetBackup Administration Console.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @bcsupport 

If you want to keep the storage intact, then you have to reimage to the same version. I would suggest you work with Veritas support and follow their directions on the reimage process. 

If you simply wish to reimage the appliance and don't care about anything stored, then use the desired ISO image and boot from that.

Cheers
David

bcsupport
Level 4

So if we simply re-image the appliance with the same version, everything on disk will still be there and intact, eventhough this would be a fresh install?

meuhassan
Level 4

Here are the things that you need to make sure you have before re-imaging the 5240 appliance:

• A copy of the catalog. The catalog is a database that stores information about all of the backups that have been taken on the appliance. You can export the catalog using the NetBackup Administration Console.
  • A copy of the PureDisk dedup catalog. The PureDisk dedup catalog is a database that stores information about all of the deduplicated data on the appliance. You can export the PureDisk dedup catalog using the NetBackup Management Console.
  • The appliance's configuration files. The appliance's configuration files contain information about the appliance's settings, such as the IP address, the hostname, and the network settings. You can download the appliance's configuration files from the appliance's web interface.

Once you have these files, you can re-image the appliance. You can re-image the appliance to version 10 directly. You do not need to start back at version 9.1.0.1 MR4 and then upgrade from there.

Here are the steps on how to re-image the appliance:

1. Download the re-image image from the Veritas website.
  2. Copy the re-image image to a USB drive or to a network share.
  3. Boot the appliance from the re-image image.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the re-imaging process.

Once the re-imaging process is complete, you will need to restore the catalog, the PureDisk dedup catalog, and the appliance's configuration files. You can restore these files using the NetBackup Administration Console.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

bcsupport
Level 4

Thanks meuhassan!  

One other question I have, is there anything that would need to be pulled from our media server?  Obviously the dedup cat for the PureDisk, but would there be a config file of sorts for that?

We just have the one Primary 5240 appliance and one windows msdp.