cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replication AIR Limitation

Juliano_Moreira
Level 4

Hello 
I have a Netbackup Appliance 5220 and recently configured the AIR to transfer from my master to another, which is located in my office. 
I have several backup jobs Oracle, VMware and File Server, the window is well programmed and configured to meet the amount of backups during the day. 
I have configured on my PureDisk 50 concurrents Jobs and my Disk Pool 50 volume set of this in my 30. All my backups are stored on disk by 100% solution from Symantec. 

Today I have a limitation on my L2L Link to 35Mb to use replication (AIR). In my case, I can limit the bandwidth for my Firewall and also reading some documents also managed by pd.conf file to work with a certain speed per channel in OPTDUP_BANDWIDTH parameter. 

Unfortunately I could not get a perfect fit. My problem that is occurring now is that my work replication begins to grow, just using available channels and my backup queue starts to get affected and slow to get work backups. 

I wonder if there is any parameter in the Appliance that can determine the amount of Jobs that will work in the transfer without use of the available channels for backup. 

For example. wanted to make transferring a maximum of 10 channels and the rest to use for backup. 

If anyone can help me and tell where I can do this to solve my problem once, thank you. 

Sorry if you have any terms or phrases errors, but I am using a translator.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Ok I understand now. What you can do is increase your storage units concurrent jobs/streams but then limit your policies so they don't use all the streams and the backup performance degrades.

Can be a tricky depending on how many policies you have and when they're supposed to run.

That's the best solution i can think of now.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Juliano_Moreira
Level 4

RiaanBadenhorst

Hello Juliano,

What was the link speed / bandwidth previously? You say it is now set to 35mbps, but we need to understand how much it dropped.

Are you using 7.5 or 7.6. In 7.6 you can schedule your SLPs to run during certain time frame so they don't impact your backups. And from what i understand, that is what is happening now.

Having said that, an SLP window is not going to help if your 35mbps is not enough to keep the remote appliance sync'd with the local one. If you need more bandwidth, you need more bandwidth (unless you can choose to replicate less backup images)

Juliano_Moreira
Level 4

Hello 

Thanks for the reply. 
I'm using 7.6, with regard to my link is 50MB but I leave it limited to 35Mb through my firewall to not consume all my band. 

I saw the feature opening hours SLP but the biggest problem is that as my link is down, I need it to be running 24 hours a day without stopping. 

Still, as my backups also run 24 and the schedules are very short, can not escape the program to replicate the SLP only at night or during the day. I'll queue backups even while we have replication running. 

I do not know it happens to you but replication ends occupying channels available for use and when the backup ends up having to vacate expected. 

What I need is to know a way to determine for example, no more than 10 channels for replication and the other for backup. Reaching the limit of 10 channels, wait vacate an entry of another, but do not use everything you have got available? 

Best regards!

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Ok I understand now. What you can do is increase your storage units concurrent jobs/streams but then limit your policies so they don't use all the streams and the backup performance degrades.

Can be a tricky depending on how many policies you have and when they're supposed to run.

That's the best solution i can think of now.

Juliano_Moreira
Level 4

Okay .. so I've done a lot but to no avail. 

Even so grateful for the help, already cleared me so I can do some more things about. 

Thank you, 
Juliano Moreira

ejporter
Level 4

Take  a look at bandwidthlimit in agent.cfg.  This works for us.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&pmv=print&impressions=&viewlocale=&id=HO...