cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add a server to be media server for NBU appliance

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, we have a NBU 5220 appliance (firmware v1.4). We have setup a few media servers (windows 2008 r2 and AIX 6.1). My question is: how to configure these media servers to use the dedupe storage of NBU 5220? We have created one storage unit for NBU appliance but the media server shown there is on the master server. Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

Sebastian_Baszc
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi There,

If you configured the MSDP on 5220, it means that the Storage Server and Storage Unit are pointing to that specific appliance. You can't really use the MSDP on other Media Servers. There is one scenario where it is possible, but in this situation you use backup host for let's say VMWare backup and you send the data stream off the backup host to the specific Storage Unit (in this case 5220).

If you want to share the Deduplication disk pool, you would rather use 5020 appliance and PDDO option. In this configuration there is external dedup pool on 5020 and Media Servers send the data to it. The deduplication happen on the appliance.

Hope it helps.

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Sebastian, thanks for your replies. If I have multiple media servers, can I share the dedupe pool in the appliance with these media servers? If yes, how to do it? Can these media servers be in mixed platform? E.g., I have one Windows media server and two AIX media servers. Thanks in advance.

Chad_Wansing2
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

yes, you can share the dedupe pool between other media servers even if they are different platforms (provided those platforms are supported as listed in the most recent software compatibility list), but only to have those other media server participate in performing the deduplication calculations.  The storage pool itself can only ever be owned by a single media server using MSDP (media server dedupe pools).  Enable the sharing of  the dedupe pool by going into the properties of the storage server and selecting the other media servers.  Also, you have to enable the media servers you want to participate in the storage unit properties as well.

Hope this helps!

-Chad