cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU IT Analytics - Appliance Info Gathering

DPeaco
   VIP   

Greetings,

I've been told that I don't need to install a data collector on each of my appliance to get SLP info, MSDP info, and appliance performance info. I've read more documentation than I care to admit and I guess I'm just not putting all the pieces together to get the info into NBUITA reports. I have backup info and it's talking with my master server but I really want SLP info and info from each of my 12 appliances. So......what am I missing? I've read about an "exporter" but I haven't read enough about that piece to even know if I need it or not. Advice, tips, pointers are all welcomed.

VM Linux servers - RHEL 8.7

NBUITA - 11.2.02

Appliances are a mix of VM OVA installed media servers + clustered HA 5340's.

Thanks,
Dennis
6 REPLIES 6

DPeaco
   VIP   

Ok, I'm exhausted from reading documentation.

Everything I read says - Install Collector - All I want to do is collect MSDP info, NBU Appliance cpu, memory, resource and mount point info in the NBU IT Analytics collector.

I have a Linux Portal server, Linux Collector server with the NBU Media Server software installed on it, and I have four 5340 appliances configured in HA configuration with about 2+ PB of Media Server Storage.

So, who's telling the truth of what's needed? Either I DO need to install a collector on every media server I have or I don't. If I don't? How do I get the info for each media server into the Analytics collector/portal for reporting?

Curious minds wanna know. :) 

Thanks,
Dennis

You don't need a data collector on each appliance. Data Collection is driven by the Primary/Master Server the media server is attached to. You have to choices for data collection:

1.) Install the software locally on each Primary server.

2.) Run data Collection remotely via a designated collector (software is installed locally).

In both setups you then create a data collection Policy on the collector for every environment you are trying to collect data from. You can designate one appliance (or build a server for this purpose) to use as dedicated collector.

In your case you would be creating one policy for each NetBackup Primary (running as an appliance, BYOB, flex, etc.) You then need to create a data collection policy for each NetBackup "instance" you want to collect data from.

Difference is in how you setup/define the collection Policy on your Portal Server, type is SSH or WMI for remote or for local, NetBackup software on Data Collector Server. 

pcgeek01_0-1692122106627.png

So, under the designated data collector on your Portal, you would be defining different remote data collection policies like in the example below. The data collector represented by the folder as a separate policy for each NetBackup Primary Server. 

Data Collector PoliciesData Collector Policies

Editing or looking at one of the Policies you can see it is collecting (or can if so desired) SLP, MSDP falls under Storage, Media Server falls under storage Server, etc.

pcgeek01_2-1692122846221.png

Hope this helps. Documentation is not very linear or clear. Details are different depending on what documentation source you are reading. 

Dana

Robert_Geller
Level 4
Employee

Hi Dennis,

For performance details (depending on what you are looking for), you will need to use the exporter framework or host collection.  

-R

DPeaco
   VIP   

Dana,

Thank you for that info. So each collection policy you have listed is a different media server? Sorry, just trying to wrap my head around this.

Thanks,
Dennis

DPeaco
   VIP   

Hello Robert,

I'll need to go look and see what that means in what I need to look at doing. Thanks for letting me know that because we do need to gather media server and master server performance data.

Thanks,
Dennis

You only need data collected from the Primary/Master Server. It has all the storage details for every Media/Storage Server it manages. The NetBackup Primary Server is key for collecting data. It exposes all data in the NetBackup environment. I would suggest you start with configuring one NetBackup Data Collector and Policy for one NetBackup Primary server, this exposes every media/storage server it uses for data collection and reporting. You get a good deal of performance metrics, storage forecasting, consumption, etc. Do some monitoring and reporting to get the look and feel of things and then roll it out more broadly. Once you get the lay of the land, if you feel you need live performance metrics in real time as opposed to past performance details which NITA happily provides, then you could enable "NetBackup Resources Monitor". It requires that the NetBackup IT Analytics Exporter to be installed on the NetBackup Primary Server and the Data Collection (as seen in the picture) to be configured. 

pcgeek01_0-1692805829548.png