cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incompatibility with Windows Vista

kennethp
Level 3
Partner

Hi, when i try to make a backup of a machine with Microsoft Windows Vista Professional Service
Pack 1, it displays the follow error:

VSSToolError: Incompatible Windows OS
detected - returning 6003

*** Error Message ***

severity: 6
server: 4
source: PrepareBackup_PrepareBackup
description:
 Command 'vss_cmd_tool -D C' unexpectedly terminated with exit status 6003
*** End ***

can you help me???? 

4 REPLIES 4

Tom_Burrell
Level 5

Vista is not on the compatibility list:

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_PureDisk_Remote_Office_Edition/303597.pdf

Talk to support about the roadmap, but it looks like you're out of luck at the moment.

Nicolas_Cure
Level 4
Certified

Hi,

Are you using snapshots? Try disabling it as it seems to be failing when trying to create it. I wonder if by not using snapshots at least it will run the job.

Mayur_Dewaikar
Level 3
Employee
Windows Vista backups are not support via PureDisk. Vista is primarily a desktop/laptop OS and PureDisk is targeted at server backups.

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

Disable snapshot in the policy, you will be able to achieve partial protection of non-open, non-locked files at least, but not the full-protection of the system against disaster.

It's just that Vista does not like VSS, that's all.

Either PureDisk start using some other snapshot mechanism to support Vista, or Vista takes VSS in, I guess.

:)

WinXP is not much of a server OS either, but included in support matrix.

I see PureDisk is just a de-dup solution, rather than a server backup solution.

Well we have BE and NBUP, NBU DLO for laptops, so why don't we remain generous, allow both NBU and PD to backup desktops.

Abe