cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puredisk and support for Classified Message Incident

MCDIM
Level 2
  Hi

One of my colleages told me that at a recent event either someone from Symantec or a Symantec Partner told him that Puredisk has a unique data block erase/overwrite capability.

I.e that it can delete a data file from disk, the index pointing to the file and uniquely it can also scrub/overwrite all the blocks on disk that used to belong to the file.

This is perfect for a regulated environments I'm looking to consult for, but I can't find anything in any manual - is this perhaps a different product that can be used with puredisk.

Can anyone shed light on this. If this capability exists it is unique in the Market place.

Regards

Mike
2 REPLIES 2

Tom_Burrell
Level 5
This isn't ringing any bells, and it doesn't make any sense from a de-dupe point of view.  The whole point of de-dupe in Puredisk is that the blocks are shared among many files whenever possible.  This makes it impossible to operate as your collegue described, because those blocks would be needed to create other files which may still be retained.

Unless he's talking about removing blocks which are no longer needed by ANY file- but I don't think that meets your needs.

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

Does not sound like what Puredisk offers.

If that person was from Symantec/partner, perhaps it is a product from Altiris (owned by Symantec)?

Altiris sells IT asset /desktop management solutions.

*EDIT*

Or, if it's a security-related feature, maybe it's from the Norton side of Symantec.

Just throwing a few wild guesses here...

:-)

Abe