Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7.0 to 7.01 patch on EV Cluster

TA0
Level 4
Partner

Hello,

I'm about to undertake a NBU 7.0 to 7.01 patch on an EV MSCS, I'm using this article as the basis for my procedure: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH139151

Under the section 'Installation Steps' it says the following:

If a database client is being used, such as Oracle, ensure that the database services are stopped. Database services can be stopped using the ControlPanel -> Services tool. Repeat this until all databases have been stopped. These services must be restarted once the patch is successfully installed.

To my mind this means downtime for the application, however I'm struggling to accept this as I can't believe I'd have to have downtime for an app to patch the backup agent.

I'm fairly new to NBU so any words of wisdom -  downtime or not?

Thanks very much

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You dont need to worry about this for EV.

With Oracle there is(was) an operation that links (replaces) some Oracle Binaries with NetBackup ones. However, this is from quite a while back, even with installation the database had to be stopped for this linking procedure. It was overcome in the latest release. I think that comment might just be leftover cut and paste without thinking???

TA0
Level 4
Partner

Thanks for the reply.

I asked the same question to Symantec, they reiterated what you said - no downtime for EV application. Though as I understand it EV is backed by a SQL DB, they said it would be downtime for the SQL DB services to upgrade from 7.0 to 7.01.

Find it a bit disappointing that you'd need downtime for an app to upgrade the backup agent.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Honeslty, I've never ever heard of that (besides Oracle in the past)