cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Disk cleanup job failed

Arun1987
Level 2

Hi,

We  Have an slp which contains a Advanced disk as destination disk for backup and duplication to tape.

the retention period for Disk is 1day. After completion of 1day also dat was not expired and disk is getting full.

When I tried to expire throgh catalog section it is showing Imaging expiration does not modify because it is under SLP. but  when i check the expiry date of the image it is already over.

There are somany images like this from last 20 days which are not expired.ceanup activities are not performing.

How can expire alll the data in these disk.

All the duplications are showing failed which are old with image open error fromacctiity monitor.

can i delete these images by login into the OS?

Does this make any issues??

Can i delete all the images of the disk at a time??

How c

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This is exactly what happens if images are removed outside of NBU - either by deleting or formatting.

You will need to list outstanding SLPs and then manually cancel the SLPs where images are lost. 
Please understand that lost images that have not been duplicated, means DATA LOSS.

Please see the SLP Best Practice Guide: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000018455

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6

PLEASE DO NOT delete anything directly on the disk. 

You will cause severe catalog corruption in NBU if the images have not expired in NBU.

If SLP duplications have not completed successfully, NBU will assign INFINITY retention to the images until the duplication has completed. Only then does SLP retention and expiration kick in.
Image cleanup can therefore only take place after successful duplication and image expiration.

You need to find out what is causing the " image open error ".
Check bpdm and bptm logs on the media server.
Has someone already deleted files from disk?

Hi Marianne

Marianne
Level 6

This is exactly what happens if images are removed outside of NBU - either by deleting or formatting.

You will need to list outstanding SLPs and then manually cancel the SLPs where images are lost. 
Please understand that lost images that have not been duplicated, means DATA LOSS.

Please see the SLP Best Practice Guide: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000018455

Thanks Marianne

Can you please tell me how to list outstanding SLPs and Cancel the SLPS to eliminate duplication failures from the activity monitor.

Marianne
Level 6

Please have a look at these sections of the SLP Best Practice (see my previous post):

Avoid increasing backlog 6
Monitoring SLP progress and backlog growth 7
Reduce backlog by delaying or canceling the duplication of the older images 8