cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert notification about the cleaning request to email

ipmanyak
Level 5

We have the robot tape library, when it require cleaning cartridge I do not see this until I come in and check the jobs  with this tape  library. I want such an alert  notification to come to me by email. How ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Alert only flies in after I change the tape to a cleaning cartridge.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@ipmanyak 

The TapeAlert for cleaning is generated by the tape drive, not NBU.
So, if email alerting is needed, you need to find out if the tape library has that kind of capability.

NBU will only know about the TapeAlert when it needs to use the drive. 
So, best practice is to configure automatic cleaning by having one or more cleaning cartridges in the library.

Please have a look at this solution from @mph999  (ignore the Symantec links - they don't work anymore) :

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/How-to-set-up-TapeAlert-for-automatic-drive-cleaning-in-NBU-7-1...

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Technically 'library based cleaning' is not supported, although people do use it, it is down to the library oif it is able to send emails, although if it is working, there should be no need to do anything other than check the cleaning tapes have not been used up every now and then.

If NBU is used to do the cleaning the same applies - you will know from experience how often the drives need cleaning, so can estimate how long a cleaning tape will last so know approximatly how often you will need to insert new ones - just throw a few tapes in the library and leave it to it.

Mike_Gavrilov

You can parse /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/errors (or same file on Windows server) and send an alert if you get Tape Alerts like:

0x14: 'Tape drive needs cleaning NOW',
0x15: 'Tape drive needs to be cleaned soon',

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100000622

When robot tape library requires cleaning cartridge  NBU  freezes the current tape. Can I get alert notification to emal about  this? Can Ops center  send to me such notification ?

Marianne

Thanks. I shall try it.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Alert only flies in after I change the tape to a cleaning cartridge.