cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternate read server - original restore server

mdal
Level 2

Hi there.

I'm looking for some help regarding an issue i've run into setting up our netbackup environment.

The environment consists of 1 master server, 4 media servers, 1 shared storage tape library, and 1 shared Openstorage disk pool.

All the media servers have access to the tape library and the disk pool, but the clients only have access to 1 media server depending on their network location.

So far we've been backing up directly to tape, using 1 SU per media server, to select which media server to use for the backup of specific clients. Now i'd like to back up to the disk pool (which is easy, using 1 SU per media server for the same disk pool), and then vault old images to tape using a specific high bandwidth media server for duplicating images from disk to tape using the alternate read server option.

This all works out great, but i have to select the high bandwidth media servers tape SU to avoid using the network. This means that the high bandwidth media server becomes the media owner, and restores from tape will be attempted through this server, which can not reach the client.

Are there any way to keep the original media server as the media owner/restorer? I know that you can use the restore server override, but setting this to a specific server for every individual restore is not a good method.

The problem is actually the same as mentioned in this closed thread: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/use-alternate-read-server-vault

I'm wondering if there are any alternatives now, with NBU 7.1 (life cycle policy maybe, although i can not see how)

Any other thoughts on how to solve it would be welcome too!

0 REPLIES 0